red kite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Saw my first one near reading comming back from the last full members meet, and then saw another 7 or 8 hunting together, amazing..................Jon (testing testing 123)

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
what do they look like cuz i think i sin one a few months bk it was bigger that a sparrow halk but smaller than a buzzard hand a deep red brest, know what it was

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
gaz_miggy said:
what do they look like cuz i think i sin one a few months bk it was bigger that a sparrow halk but smaller than a buzzard hand a deep red brest, know what it was
I thought they looked slightly larger than buzzards, but not as stocky.....................Jon

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
I've got three that fly over my garden regularly, and I regularly see them from the bedroom window when I get up. :smug; One took a pigeon off the back fence one time (SWMBO saw it) I love to watch them. Somethimes you'll get a stack of them riding a thermal. The nipper counter 29 of them one day.

The re-introduced ones are European Red Kites, and are a little larger than the native ones to be found in Wales.

They've spread quite a way from their southern introduction place of Stokenchurch in Bucks. I had heard that the northern introduction hadn't fared as well, but hopefully they've managed to get thouroughly established too.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
As Provain and some other members of the form I live quite near the ever expanding red kite population of the Chilterns hence my avatar. I love these birds they are so majestic and great to watch the population in the Chilterns now extends from the m4 corridor near reading all the way up the Chilterns escarpment to Dunstable so round hear you cant move without seeing them.
As for the genetic makeup of the birds IIRC the birds in the Chilterns are of Spanish origins and the birds in Yorkshire and Scotland are from Scandinavia.

wolf I believe reading is in Berkshire.

James

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I work in North Wales and during my lunch breaks (when I got them!) last year I watched a pair bring up a couple of young. And this year they are all still together – it’s great.

Last Thursday, on my way home, one flying at about 30’ stopped the traffic on the M56! I’ve also seen a pair on the M40 not far from London.

AJB

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
ok so it wasnt a kite any body know they think it may be? bigger that a sparrow halk but smaller than a buzzard had a deep red brest, know what it was

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
gaz_miggy said:
ok so it wasnt a kite any body know they think it may be? bigger that a sparrow halk but smaller than a buzzard had a deep red brest, know what it was

I'm no expert but I do find this interesting as I'm trying to learn my british birds so here goes:
This would be a best guess and nothing more: http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/m/marshharrier/index.asp

Marsh Harrier.
Summer distribution might fit, depends when you saw it.
Definately within your size range.
Described (I've not seen one), sometimes, as having a 'reddish' band on the underside.

I dunno. In the right light even reddish-brown can look quite spectacular.

If you are prepared to consider escapees from collections there a few alien varieties which might fit the bill too.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've got a lot of Red Kites around here, driving up north the other week the kids counted 30. Beautiful birds, it's a pleasure driving about and knowing that I'm going to see a bird of prey, if it's not a kite it's a Buzzard

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Tony said:
We've got a lot of Red Kites around here, driving up north the other week the kids counted 30. Beautiful birds, it's a pleasure driving about and knowing that I'm going to see a bird of prey, if it's not a kite it's a Buzzard

Sorry to interupt all:

Tony,
Please delete some PM's or provide an email address so we/I can contact you. I'ts important.

Regards,
Ryan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE