Red Berries ID Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I came across these red berries this evening, Can anyone help to ID them, Will they be my supper?
10082009114.jpg

10082009115.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Top one looks like Guelder Rose. Berries are supposed to be edible, but I think they need cooking to remove some toxicity. Tend to be made into a sauce or relish.

Is the bottom picture a different plant? The leaves look not unlike ivy leaves on the flowering stems, but the berries look a bit too elongated for ivy.

Geoff

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Top one looks like Guelder Rose. Berries are supposed to be edible, but I think they need cooking to remove some toxicity. Tend to be made into a sauce or relish.

Geoff

Guelder rose fruit smells really nasty. It is edible, it can make some people feel nausous when raw (cooper johnson). It can make me feel nausous just smelling it, so I have never collected enough to cook it. I used to show it to my kids when they were tiny so they would learn not randomly pick fruit off bushes.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks guys, I will be having a go with the Guelder rose I think when they are ripe.

Hopefully I will soon be able to stop mithering as I have a new identification guide on its way which apparently will identify everything very quickly.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE