recommendations please, cordless screw driver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have two Festool saws, an M class extractor and various guiderails but doubt I'll buy any of their drills as I'm not convinced they offer significant improvements over Makita, De-Walts or Hitachi drills.
Especially when they cost knocking on twice as much.
The circular saws and especially the HKC saw however offers significant improvements over every make apart from Mafell which is even spendier than Festool.

Circular saws? Ace.
Drills? Hmm... good but not twice as good.

Yeah, I think that's spot on, i've got a couple saws and rails.

I got a cordless Makita circular saw for christmas, love it! I just need a little attachable rail now :)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Just a word of caution if buying off Evilbay or other online spurious establishments,, there are lots of fakes, easily recognisable by the price, for eg 2 x 18v 5.0h batteries for £17.99 with free postage, remember the old saying if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just a word of caution if buying off Evilbay or other online spurious establishments,, there are lots of fakes, easily recognisable by the price, for eg 2 x 18v 5.0h batteries for £17.99 with free postage, remember the old saying if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Interestingly however, I am currently testing a pair of Waitley 5ah batteries - they are half the price of Makita and, so far, haven't shown any problems.

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I just bought a Dewalt 18v combi drill with two 4Ah batteries from Screwfix. It wasn't cheap at £150 (even with £100 off rrp) but it is so much better than my Draper 810w corded hammer drill or my 10v Macallister drill driver. I have spent the last week drilling and driving anything I can; deals well with the block in my 1930s property (notorious for hardness apparently?).
It comes with a 3 year warranty from Dewalt and a 2 year(?) One from screwfix themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Baigent

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Interestingly however, I am currently testing a pair of Waitley 5ah batteries - they are half the price of Makita and, so far, haven't shown any problems.
Yes, but at least they were not labelled as genuine Makita batteries, some of the fakes are so obvious, its a shame Ebay don't do nothing about them, I have reported the ads but to no avail.alas.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
the question is what did you need (max. torque, carry weight, budget, other possible tools in that system)

i think for your work:
...it will be mainly used fixing a few 2"x 2"s together and the odd house project.

a smaller system (12v) is enough its cheaper, lighter, more compact
i decide for over 10yeras for bosch professional and there was some tools that nobody else had in his portfolio e.g.
the out of production gwi 12v-5 or one the brushless gdr-12v (110nm), gsr-12v-15-fc (5in1)

so if i could decide for a new (larger) system today: milwaukee m18 very innovativ system many different tools

so for you ( i would recommend a 1/4 hex impact driver) and this could be a very powerful and compact tool:

2857 or 2760

mr

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Baigent

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
For my old job in maintenance I used a small Bosch 10.8v for smallish jobs that I kept in my tool box. and de walt brushless 18v for the bigger stuff like drilling holes in concrete/brick for bolts etc. Bosch was used daily, the dewalt less so.
both still running on the original batteries and both still going strong today (I’m sure you don’t need to ask me how I know this lol). I use 18v Milwaukee brushless “fuel” line driver/impact driver too for home with 5.0 Ah batteries which last ages.

All really good, it just depends on the size of the job at hand. I would buy a brand like the ones (but not limited to) mentioned. Just Don’t be tempted to go for the cheapo crap. Buy nice or buy twice I’ve often found when it comes to this kind of stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE