Recommendations On A Camping Trip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 2, 2003
North West
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been hanging around for a bit and decided that I should join in. Just to let you know a bit about me, I'm an active member at the swamprat forum (there's a survival forum there as well, so it's not jsut about knives) and although I haven't done a whole lot of bushcraft yet I'm practicing and learning alot about it now, as it's something I'm very interested in. I've also just ordered a Kellam Lapp Puukko incase anyone's interested, as I've not tried a flat grind before.

On to my question. Next year, around spring, I'm going to Scotland for a week or two to test my skill. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good wood/forest that I could do this in, hopefully a rather large one (that I can get near to via train. So Gallaway's out!).

Also, I'm sure someone here will know, what are the laws concerning trapping rabbit, and fishing, in such circumstances? I'm guessing that the fishing would be ilegal most places without a license.

Cheers guys,

Matt

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You do not need a rod license in Scotland, but most places you need a permit. Fishing for Brown trout is pretty cheap however - maybe £5 a day or £20 a week. My season ticket for Loch Earn is only £15.

There is still a bit of free fishing (and free shooting, for that matter- on Crown foreshore..) in Scotland. Much of the trout fishing in Orkney and Shetland is free, but no trains and no...er...trees... Sea fishing from the shore is free.

Lochs surrounded by coniferous forest are often quite acidic and the trout can be small. Three to a pound if you're lucky.

Allowing for rail access:

Aviemore. Town is full of tourists. Much surrounding land is forested, owned either by Forestry Commission or Rothiemurchas Estate. Good trout fishing opportunities. You can wild camp in the hills no problem - don't know about the forests. Fires would be highly verboten I expect. The Ryvoan bothy is good for a free (and dry) night's kip. Once lugged 25kg of coal there, to ensure a decent blaze on the hearth.

Rannoch Station. Very remote, close to wilderness, station in middle of nowhere. Good fishing on Loch Laidon (within walking distance of station) I'm told. Wild camping should be easy. But no trees. Just moor.

Pitlochry. Fishing good, not too sure on forest opportunities.

Others may have better ideas. One other option would be to go to Oban, easy walk to CalMac ferry terminal, and, well....pick your island....

Suggest you go to library or bookshop and look at 1:25000 Orange OS maps of these areas. That'll tell you more than I can.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
How far up are you thinking you coming ??

I live 60 miles North of Inverness.

There is trout Fishing which can be cheap on some lochs but you must use the proper gear.

Rabbits are thin on the Ground up here, plus they are not keen on you taking them incase you decide to pick on something a bit bigger :AR15firin

If I can help in any way let me know,

They don't mind myself wondering about, but they can be funny with strangers. :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE