recommend me a water filter with carbon element

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moley1508

Aug 6, 2016
billericay
hi all,

im researching and looking to buy a water filter as I gave away my MSR some time ago to a friend

looking for something capable of removing or at least reducing herbicide content plus the usual pathogens.

any advice would be welcomed, thanks

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
As far as I know, the Katadyn Hiker Pro is the only lightweight hikeable filter which incorporates an active charcoal filter cartridge in addition to the micro filter to take out bacteria etc.

A little bit of further research indicates that MSR also make two pump filter systems which also incorporate active carbon filters.

Damn it. The Lifestraw also incorporate a carbon filter.

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
First need xl. I was in africa late last year and a month ago and used that and the lifesaver bottle (now that they have sorted the bankruptcy and quality issue out) exclusively from some properly dodgy water sources and was fine, the water tasted great as well.

Condisering one water source had a dead guy in it just round the bend that says a lot.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have been extremely happy with my Pure Hydration, "Aquapure Traveller". I have had two versions, the first used iodine beads, the second uses a very fine filter. Both were stated to clean everything, including viruses and chemicals with a carbon filter. They appear to have upgraded at least once more since I bought mine. When I asked about the volume that could be treated I was told that the 350litres quoted was an estimate for how long in normal use before the filter clogged. If the filter does not clog, it keeps cleaning.
http://www.purehydration.com/

Sep 18, 2017
USA
hi all,

im researching and looking to buy a water filter as I gave away my MSR some time ago to a friend

looking for something capable of removing or at least reducing herbicide content plus the usual pathogens.

any advice would be welcomed, thanks

I think that a carbon filter is a good choice, they're cheap, easy to install and filter water rather nice, especially in case of different chemicals and gases :) However they're usually useless in case of solids, hardness and heavy metals, here's a detailed article about them http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/carbon and as I know only some models of them are effective in this case too.
Personally I liked much more new UV ones and RO systems, I installed the second one in my house, it's an Apec model and in my opinion it's better for water filtering :)

81L9dPHQkML._SL1500_-500x452.jpg

Also in case of RO systems I can recommend Brondell and Homemaster filters, here's https://cozzy.org/best-reverse-osmosis-system-for-home/ some examples of them, my friends use them too so it's a review from our experience :D But RO systems aren't cheap and you probably will need a help with installation, it's not an easy task for everybody... If your budget is limited, then take an UV one, I think it's a good alternative and it isn't so expensive ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE