recommend me a 3 season bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi guys.

I know this question has been asked to death but most answers were just "depends on budget" or "depends on what you want it for" so I'm going to be specific.

I want a bag that will keep me warm in winter months (UK temps) but I think I might also use it if this Canadian canoe expedition goes ahead. Now before you jump the gun. I understand it will be in nova Scotia, which after some research I have found has a similar climate to the UK. And were going in May. Main use would be UK though. It also needs to fit into a 60-70ltr rucksack and not take up the entire thing.

As for budget I'm willing to spend maximum 50-60 quid I think. Anything more than that I think is ridiculous.

Thanks

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
New I think you will struggle. Second hand and its just a case of keeping an eye out.
Other than that its military bags all the way but expect them to fill most of your pack :(

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
The Snupak Softie range is pretty good. Although you'll need to add another £20 to your budget. They're not ultra compact or light, but they will fit comfortably in a 50l rucksack taking up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the volume and 1.3 to 1.5 kg isn't too bad for a synthetic bag, which has its advantages in moist conditions.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Thanks for that! Doesn't say how much though :(

They are about £85 new but often come up second hand on ebay

To be honest fella your really going to struggle getting the bag you want for the money you want to spend

For a bag that will genuinly keep you warm when the temp drops but at a low price you wont get better than the issue artic bag
The pay off is the bulk and weight of the thing they are over 2kg and about 30 litres when compressed

I have a nanok -10 bag but once we hit november it gets swapped out for an issue artic bag as id rather deal with humping the extra weight if it means not waking up shivering

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Don't just think sleeping bag; think system

You can pick up a decent 3 season bag a liner and a sleeping bag cover easily within your price range
Shop around. I have an old euro hike 3 season bag and it is brilliant I have different liners and a cheap old gelert cover fine for UK
I do have other bags as well but this is a mainstay

I agree entirely on your budget

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Don't just think sleeping bag; think system

You can pick up a decent 3 season bag a liner and a sleeping bag cover easily within your price range
Shop around. I have an old euro hike 3 season bag and it is brilliant I have different liners and a cheap old gelert cover fine for UK
I do have other bags as well but this is a mainstay

I agree entirely on your budget

Id love to see the specs and some pics of your system fella

Im not trying to knock you its just ive tried a lot of combinations over the years and struggled to find the perfect system and im all for not spending money when it doesent need to be spent

I do follow the idea that if your going to spend money on anything its your bed and your boots because if your not in one you will be in the other and for some both at the same time

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Rather than do pics of my system I will link to some examples

Bags
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-300-...I1OM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353740285&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snugpak-The...EGHS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1353740463&sr=8-7

Liners
I use various depending on conditions

so a silk one ,a cotton one and a fleece one
These can all be picked up very cheap if you shop around The fleece liners really make a difference in cold weather

As I said i use a cheap Gelert Bivvy bag

This gives a cheap flexible system which if you choose well will work in most UK conditions

As I said I do have other options (too many, the wife would say)
I have a Vango down bag, An issue British army cold weather bag, Nanok 0 and a Jungle bag
I also have a British army Goretex Bivvy bag

In summer its the Nanok as its very light and very effective
The rest of the year I use variations on my mainstay system

I camp out at least two nights every month so experience a wide range of temperatures
My biggest concern is weight as I do not drive so have to carry all my kit for some distance whenever I am out
Hence my warmest bag the army one rarely gets used.
On budget I am Scottish so always on the look out for a bargain. I think the January sales this year will throw up some keenly priced items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE