Recommend a lightweight ponch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi I'm in the market for a light weight poncho.ive been using my mountain equipment softshell for some time now n am happy with its water repellency/general performance up until the point of when it proper chucks it down ..looking for something that can live in the bottom of my bag for the right through too the undies times.i 'm hoping that I can find something that won't rip at the first sight of a thorn too.ive got a really thick issue one n while it's good for fishing n what not I can't justify its weight n size for how much it will be used.any links or recommends would be nice.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Snugpak gets good reviews, but I don't know how rip proof it is. It's kind of the nature of this type of loose garment to catch on stuff, but mine's been good so far. I've got the previous version that cost me about £12, so I can't comment on the fabric of the newer one, it looks better designed and built, and does boast rip stop material.

http://www.blackleaf.com/Snugpak-In...ogleshopping&gclid=CIO22sr9nL8CFaPItAodLycAfA

Might even be due an upgrade myself ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Tenth Wonder - without doubt the best poncho I've ever used; ripstop nylon and comes in a tad over 400g. Mine gets frequent use as poncho and groundcloth and occasionally as a shelter to brew/eat in the rain. I've had it over six months and most of it's use has been in woodland, but it's been bombproof. IIRC, around the twenty quid mark.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tenth Wonder - without doubt the best poncho I've ever used; ripstop nylon and comes in a tad over 400g. Mine gets frequent use as poncho and groundcloth and occasionally as a shelter to brew/eat in the rain. I've had it over six months and most of it's use has been in woodland, but it's been bombproof. IIRC, around the twenty quid mark.

Worth knowing, thanks

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull

What Mac said, it's the best one I've owned and I've tried a few. I can tell you it will keep you dry on wet Scottish day and mine's not showing any wear after a years use :). Good fit when wearing a backpack too...

035_zpsac8e0a06.jpg

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I have two DD ponchos (one for and the other for my eldest daughter)
These have never let us down. Totally bomb proof

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have two DD ponchos (one for and the other for my eldest daughter)
These have never let us down. Totally bomb proof

I too used one of these for a long time and had extremely good service from it; but the TW does the same job for me but with half the bulk and half the weight :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
What Mac said, it's the best one I've owned and I've tried a few. I can tell you it will keep you dry on wet Scottish day and mine's not showing any wear after a years use :). Good fit when wearing a backpack too...

035_zpsac8e0a06.jpg

Looking magnificent their copperhead bullet proof in fact.ha what's the pack size like please mate

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
I've got a Snugpak one. It's been a bit dissapointing. Very light, but not 100% waterproof. Ok for light showers but not for prolonged periods of heavy rain. I've since bought a DD one, which is completely waterproof, but heavy.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Perfect copperhead I appreciate the effort.looks like I'll be purchasing one of these in the not too distant.
Ps stern! Almost invincible but I reckon I could take yer ha ha

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Bit on the small side but works well enough with a bivvy bag. My only issue is the grommets for tie out points on the corners, these tend to rip out in my experience (hasn't happened on the TW mind). Mountainm put me on to adding small loops of shock cord to absorb the stress.

005_zps6e345be1.jpg

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
As mentioned above, the Highlander adventure poncho is good, I did need to use fabsil on mine to make it water proof though. If you don't mind Camo, the Dutch poncho is reasonably light, tough and gives good coverage as a shelter and a poncho.
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...dutch-p-u-rip-stop-d-p-m-2250-detail?Itemid=0
and
http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20164&from=
Both sellers are good guys to deal with, just don't browse the sites to much or it may get expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE