Recomend a good camp bed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Im sick of thermarest's and air beds failing all the time, i have spent so much money on this and always end up disapointed, at the mo i am after something not inflatable and not to high as it going in a tipi, i am after something decent that will last and must be semi comfy, packing size isnt an isue as i have a van and dont do back packing,
i had one thought of buying a memory foam bed toper and getting some heavy duty covers made,

Any ideas people ?,

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
IMO memory foam is the solution to a problem few people have, and an expensive one at that. Regular upholstery foam will do you very well, and at lesser cost. 2" of RX39 or equivalent is more than enough for my needs on any surface, but then everyone is different so YMMV.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Did you see those fancy lightweight ones Lurch had at Middlewood last time ? They're a bit pricey but they look the mutts.

I'd go for a MOD one though if space and weight isn't an issue.

The covered foam is a good idea though

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
OK, you’re all going to think I’m an idiot but I have come close to taking mine camping a number of times, and sworn I would after waking up crippled. Something like...

http://www.comfy-living.co.uk/prod/2ft6(75cm)SmallSingleFutonMattress/486

I have a single futon from IKEA to be used as a spare bed, it lives in the loft and comes down when there are more people than beds – it’s heavy, but you have a van, when it’s rolled up it’s about 3’ in diameter, but you have a van, you’ll be laughed at on a campsite, but you’ll be warm and comfy!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Have tried a fair few over the years, and the best I found was the British Army camp bed.

The Navy version I found too narrow, the US Cot type was too narrow (like the topper idea) Dutch Army camp beds are good, firm and wide but the fabric is really noisy, thermarests are OK but not really a bed, foam mats are too thin. Air beds are a nightmare when they leak and are cold.

Wings :)

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
Did you see those fancy lightweight ones Lurch had at Middlewood last time ? They're a bit pricey but they look the mutts.

got to seconed the MOD one i have one for car :drive: camping and its grate.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Have tried a fair few over the years, and the best I found was the British Army camp bed. :)

Seconded.

The Argos ones are just as good and pack into a small oblong bag.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...p+beds,+airbeds+and+camping+mats|14419400.htm

No connection to Argos etc., etc.

As for memory foam? I remember 15-20 years ago when HP (printers etc not the sauce) used them as packing foam.

The same with those foam beds/pillows they sell with all the toblerone like triangles, packing foam.

Bit of a rip off IMHO.

Liam

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I had a argos one untill the frame bent,granted i wasnt lying on it at the time rather sitting on the side of it,but got a surprise when it bent in half,and NO i aint to fat!

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I had a argos one untill the frame bent,granted i wasnt lying on it at the time rather sitting on the side of it,but got a surprise when it bent in half,and NO i aint to fat!

That's because you turned it upside down, slung your cyclops/roc on it and used it as a toboggan to get down yon cliff. :D

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk

What were the ones that lurch had at middlewood called ?,

The cots are to high and take up to much room in a tipi, think i might go for the memory foam

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
What were the ones that lurch had at middlewood called ?,

The cots are to high and take up to much room in a tipi, think i might go for the memory foam

You could look for a Coleman Cot, they are lower, and have legs like a lawn chair so easier on your tent floor. Keep in mind also, that you can stow gear under the cot so what you are giving up in vertical height you are gaining in floor space. Just my 2 cents to muddy the waters... :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
We bought two of these a couple of years ago and find them excellent.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=770

Given my weakling status, it takes two of us to put them up and taking them down needs the laid flat on the ground to pull the legs out.

However, they don't tip over and are really comfortable.

For insulation we have made sleeves for them that clip over the end and have a wool blanket top and take a fat airic in the sleeve for insulation (not needed for comfort).

One had a faulty connector that squeaked, then broke but Kev replaced it.

Graham

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE