Recolouring Antlers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got hold of some more antlers. (To the chagrin of Dad who had a big one fall on him. `They are safe until you knock them down`)

But some have been out a bit and are bleached...how do I get them brown again?

I thoght of using wood stain but am not sure

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Can't help you with how to recolour them, sorry. However, one of the most beautiful red deer antlers I have seen was completely bleached white by the sea and sun and was quite stunning (quite a large one as well). Do they really need to be brown?

Sorry, I don't know what you use your antlers for so my comments may be totally unrelated to your needs :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I sometimes idly dream about a lovely little folding knife with red-dyed stag scales.

I wonder if coffee or RIT or Dylon would work ... I have dyed things with felt tip markers before now.

What is that reddish brown powder that Sami use to stain antler with?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Ive used Liberon Black Bison Paste, antique pine, Briwax, p7, antique pine is similar, in the past, seems to work well.

Reactions: Billy-o

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I sometimes idly dream about a lovely little folding knife with red-dyed stag scales.

I wonder if coffee or RIT or Dylon would work ... I have dyed things with felt tip markers before now.

What is that reddish brown powder that Sami use to stain antler with?
Traditionally, Same’s colored the antlers brienish red by immersing them for extended times in the swamps/marshes.
To whiten, they placed them in streams originating in snow melts and exposing to the sun

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Which is exactly what antler workers did in this country...

I can find a peat bog...but can I find my project afterwards???

(Let not talk about experimental archaeology fails through lost items.)

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Best things for antlers is fiebings dark brown leather dye . I’ve used it loads on antlers , i sand bits down to show the grain in the antler .

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Best things for antlers is fiebings dark brown leather dye . I’ve used it loads on antlers , i sand bits down to show the grain in the antler .

I have two beautiful shaving brushes, one antler and one cow horn. The antler faded from sunshine on the bathroom window ledge. I sent it off for a spa treatment, the maker uses leather dye. For added info, he seals the end grain pores with dry rot wood treatment. It fills the pores, (and rotten wood) and then hardens enough to take fine polishing.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
I have two beautiful shaving brushes, one antler and one cow horn. The antler faded from sunshine on the bathroom window ledge. I sent it off for a spa treatment, the maker uses leather dye. For added info, he seals the end grain pores with dry rot wood treatment. It fills the pores, (and rotten wood) and then hardens enough to take fine polishing.
I won’t use anything else now other than fiebings dark brown leather dye , it really is excellent stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE