Recipe for Kendal mint cake ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
nicodiemus "What gelatine issue? Are you a veggie-tearian? (deliberate word mangling)"

Yep, and have been for most of my life. No worries if you want to eat animal, but I just don't. I've never once missed meat or longed for it, it just isn't food to me.
The older I get the less I even eat dairy products. I'm not vegan, I see no problem with honey for instance, but pretty close.

cheers,
Toddy

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Now, that looks really tasty, but I had turkish delight made by a turk in London, and it was like white candy floss. Taste wise, though, it was out of this world.

that's called Pismaniye Floss Halva - lovely stuff. you can get it online if you don't have access to a turkish food supplier like i do :)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I made a lot of sweeties when the boys were young, Andrew was allergic to azo dyes and those blasted things were in everything back then.
Mint stars, rosehearts, edinburgh rock....tablet was HWMBLT's contribution :D Kind of surprising really that the boys have never had a tooth pulled or filled in their lives :cool:

This is the tablet recipe I posted on another thread a couple of years ago

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 cup of milk or water
Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing
Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan.
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Boil stirring continuously until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.
The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.
Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick . If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm.
Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.
Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up. :rolleyes: (usually the fee for being allowed to scrape out the pot)

This is the good home made stuff but it doesn't keep very long. The commercial stuff is boiled to rock hardness and though it keeps very well I think it loses a lot of the flavour.

atb,
Toddy

I used to make tablet to a fairly similar recipe a while ago, used to be pretty lucrative. Hot work though.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This was interesting, though I dont eat many sweets,

I have a good recipes in an old book though, I may find them out

I like chocolate; the aztecs were right; it is the food of the gods,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE