Real Heros of Telemark - Aviemore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
So I've just watched Ray's " The Real Heros of Telemark " again.
Excellent stuff.

What I was wondering was, does anyone know the location of the disused huts near Aviemore that he visited?
Now I'm aware that the SOE occupied 3 shooting lodges in the area (Drumintoul Lodge, Glenmore Lodge and Forest Lodge) but that is as much as I know

I know the area well and should be up there in the near future and I wouldn't mind a look around
A grid ref would be fantastic, but any info. would be good.

Thanks
Chris

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Yup.

I know the area well, but to be honest have up to now I've only really bothered with the climbing and skiing.

If I had enough time (no chance these days:rolleyes:) I daresay I would be able to locate them, but any help would be welcome.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I've been on that website, and I have seen the bunkers in the flesh (so to speak) that they refer to. They are the anderson type shelters shown in the pics on the page.

"As for having the time...." :confused: what perhaps I should have said was that if the job, kids and wife weren't a factor I would quite happily wander around till i found them.
Don't know about you, but a vague "they are are in the vicinity of of Aviemore" won't cut in my house, whereas a firm location might.

I might give the estate an e-mail tho' , so thanks for that. :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I dropped the estate an email so lets see what that brings...

IIRC on the Real Heros of Telemark Ray has a poke around in an old hut that was used as the stores for the Kompani Linge and fossics for some broken glass on a beach that was the result of Molotov cocktail practice...

I Would suspect the Rothiemurchus estate folk will know the location of the hut in the programme having a film crew poking around would be reasonably memorable..

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Dang, I thought you were talking about where they were in Norway. I actually live there. I have been on the same trail and looked at the huts where they stayed. I am a 15 minute drive from the heavy water plant.

Paul.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Dang, I thought you were talking about where they were in Norway. I actually live there. I have been on the same trail and looked at the huts where they stayed. I am a 15 minute drive from the heavy water plant.

Paul.

Paul,

That's a very nice part of the world to live in.... I'd love to get up onto the Hardangarvidda again in summer or winter and take a poke around especially the Huts used by the Grouse and Gunnerside teams during ww2...

Rjukan has some impressive Ice Climbing as well IIRC.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I did some looking around on Google Earth and also referenced the episode of RHOT where Ray visits the Cairngorms as well as looking on the 'Secret Scotland website and refering to the RHOT book...

Ok Molotov Cocktail remains on the Beach was at Loch Morlich:

57°10'1.40"N
3°42'6.89"W

Kompani Linge's stores I think are located at:

57°10'52.97"N
3°47'14.99"W

Looking at the footage of RHOT the building is quite long and has a roof thats definately orange.

Looking at the aerial views of Glenmore Lodge, Drumintoul Lodge, and Forest Lodge the building at the coordinates above seems to make sense it's located in the grounds of Drumintoul Lodge which we know has other ww2 buildings that survive from ther period that Kompani Linge were based there.

The land around the building seems to match the RHOT footage also..

The 'secret scotland' link can be found at:

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/AviemoreSOESchool

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me the actual hut is 50K further north...:D

Hi,

I did some looking around on Google Earth and also referenced the episode of RHOT where Ray visits the Cairngorms as well as looking on the 'Secret Scotland website and refering to the RHOT book...

Ok Molotov Cocktail remains on the Beach was at Loch Morlich:

57°10'1.40"N
3°42'6.89"W

Kompani Linge's stores I think are located at:

57°10'52.97"N
3°47'14.99"W

Looking at the footage of RHOT the building is quite long and has a roof thats definately orange.

Looking at the aerial views of Glenmore Lodge, Drumintoul Lodge, and Forest Lodge the building at the coordinates above seems to make sense it's located in the grounds of Drumintoul Lodge which we know has other ww2 buildings that survive from ther period that Kompani Linge were based there.

The land around the building seems to match the RHOT footage also..

The 'secret scotland' link can be found at:

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/AviemoreSOESchool

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me the actual hut is 50K further north...:D

That's some good detective work!

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Good stuff
I hope to do a trip to the Hardangarvidda and the heavy water plant next year
Twodogs

I'd like to go back... last time I was there would have been 15 years ago and it was great. I wasn't that clued up on the SOE and heroes of Telemark thing.

I'd love to go back and visit some of the huts especially Bamsebu which was built during the war by Knut Haukelid and others...

More info here... Google translate works well on this article..

http://breogfjellsport.no/articles.php?articleID=423

It would be great to camp here and just spend some time in the area...

I'll get there one day...:)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Rjukan has some impressive Ice Climbing as well IIRC.[/QUOTE]

It certainly has, that's why I went there. My climbing partner wasn't too impressed with me though. I told him the story about four times as I'd seen the program a few weeks before I went.

The hillsides are very steep, and the woods are very dense. We took the wrong route on the way to a climb on our first morning there and we had to wear our crampons and use our ice tools to clamber over all of the iced up, snow covered hillside and fallen trees.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:
I'm not a climber, but I visit this area of Norway quite often, if you like it vertical, it doesn't get any bigger in Europe (not sure if the ice climbing is any good though)...

"Trollveggen (TrollWall) is the highest vertical mountain wall in Europe . It is 5950 feet from the valley to the top of the wall. Out of this, 3300 feet are vertical together with a 150 feet overhang."

800px-Trollveggen.jpg

Some great huts in the mountains around here, and this area saw a lot of action during the war, but nothing to do with Real Heros / Aviemore.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi all

I recently went to an evening doo for a friends wedding at Drumintoul Lodge, obviously I was more intrested in the place than the doo!
The place is a traditional Highland shooting lodge but there is some intresting photo's and letters concerning the Kompani Linge dotted around the place particulary in the toilet!
Ive not been to the QM stores myself but the Lat and Long seems correct as some of my collegues have been there in the past. Just checked on the map and got a GR of 36/928117 for the stores. The Lodge is at 36/921115.
I often stay in 'Norwegian Lodge' a Joint Service Adventurous Training facility that is located near Loch Morlich. An inscription inside dedicates the building to the Commando's, the building replacing one that was also involved, though in what purpose im not sure. Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE