Re-homing a beloved dog.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Sadly my home circumstances have had to change. And it looks likely that my beloved 5 year old Staffie x is going to need a new home. He is trained well and is so full of love and character (and loves a night under canvas). I would like to pick the family he goes to does anyone know how I can do this. Obviously I dont want anything in return other than his happiness (once the tears have stopped streaming down my face)

Mods please deleat if inapropreate

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear you have to re-home your dog.

The only advice I can really give ( I have grown up with my family training, working and breeding dogs), if your advertising is to make sure people come to see him first ( Not just a pick up and go)and see how he gets on with them, don't be scared to ask questions, Previous experience, how big an area have they got for him to run around etc. If they really want him they will come back for more than 1 visit.

Its a pity I am so far from you or I would offer him a home myself.

I hope all goes well and if I can help in any way feel free to PM

All the best

Craig

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Sorry to hear this. My daughter had to re-home a much-loved dog recently. They advertised him on Pre-loved, making it clear they would inspect the potential home before letting him go - ended up going down to Brighton from Cambs to see a likely family, but it was worth it and he's now in a really lovely forever home. Sadly, the dog rescues are full of staffies (her dog was not) so good luck.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all.

He is a staffie like no other... the size and stature of a grizzly
The temprament of a lamb. But once out and about seems to think he is a pointer..

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
We have had him from the size of a slug..... and believe me I am exploring every option (he wont be leaving me unless I am truely 100 percent forced...

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Is he steady with other dogs?
What is he like if left for longish periods of time?
Please excuse all the questions, but i have 2 ex-track Greyhounds that i rescued that are now established in a good routine and left at home when i am at work, someone comes in periodically for walks and feeding etc and they get loads of attention and exercise on my days off, do you think that he could possibly fit into this scenario if you are struggling for a solution?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
He is great at being left. Never been any trouble at all. (Bit of a lazy streak. He would be no trouble whilst at work) He is alao crate trained for cars camping etc. Loves other dogs also always been around them

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If there is a local and possibly independent dog rescue centre near you contact them. There might be some system in place for people re-homing dogs independently. Just an idea but they might have some notice board or rehoming dating site for dogs. I think you want to do your own home check too from the sounds of your posts to make sure the new family are right. I wish you all the best in keeping your dog but if not in rehoming. I used to dog walk for my local independent centre and they're heart breaking places so I'm with you in wanting to sort things out yourself. All the best.

PS is there a staffie breed rescue group? I know there are greyhound/lurcher rescue groups that help re-home (such as Lurcher Link) and foster until a forever home.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Will be watching this thread with interest, the only organisation i would contemplate leaving my dogs with under absolute dire circumstances are dogstrust.org.uk a brilliant charity who really do put the dogs first and will never put any healthy animal to sleep, but as stated above, Staffies or Staffie crosses can be difficult to rehome as potential owners are ignorant of the breed and they have had unjustified bad press, they really are one of the best family dogs going.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all.

Silverback. Can I pm you with some thoughts

xylaria

We have just adopted a cat. The rescue place we got him from had a what they said was staffie, beautiful temprament. He had some skin condition that the woman wasn't really forthcoming about. We were so tempted by this dog. But this rescue place was really dodgy, and I couldn't risk taking on a dog with health issues the owner wouldnt discuss. The cat we got has cost me £50 at the vets in the last week. i reported the place. I had a staffie that the ex kept. He is a lovely dog, really easy to train. We would love another dog just like him. Shame you are so far. I am sure you will get a another loving family from here, but if he has to go to rescue centre pick the dogs trust.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
If you end up stuck there's a rescue centre called morgans in cumbria that has a pretty good reputation....

Really hope that it won't come to that and everything works out for you :-(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE