Re-handled folding saw...???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
I found a nice folding saw in the shed and looking at, I belive I could re-handle it in solid wood...
DSCF1614.jpg

The Laplander doesn't look like you can change the handle because of the way the lock works, but this one does.
It's a wolf garten folding saw... £18 on amazon, cuts really well and neatly too....
DSCF1613.jpg

So I am going to attemt a solid oak or walnut folding saw! I think it would look great if i can do it. I have the wood and will rough it out tomorrow...Looks straight forward... But.... How am i going to cut the slot for the lock accuratly??? Chisles i guess...
Any suggestions???
DSCF1622.jpg

DSCF1619.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just used a block of wood and a nut & bolt, cut a slot for the blade and drilled a hole for the bolt....

the wood stops the blade from going back to far, and as im pushing down it wont fold shut, its also quite stiff anyway......

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Good point lannyman8.... I could just lose the lock, would be alot easier... Shape, sand, polish....I'm hoping to create something beautiful....!!!!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
This has been on my ToDo list for my Stihl folder, lovely non-bushy orange! I was planning on making the handle from two halves to get the internal shape and glueing the halves together with Cascamite or similar.

Al

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
I was gonna do it in two halves too, but think a solid piece would be nicer.... As lannyman siad, the locks not that important so i'm gonna go without it....

I've roughed out the handles now, with a slight taper... one in oak and one in walnut... Lots of sanding to do now before i start cutting and drilling!
DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1631.jpg

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
O.k.... So I've shaped and sanded the walnut handle now... looks ok, just need to cut the slots, fit it all together and finish the wood properly..... I fancy putting a chequer pattern on it like you get on the grip of a shot gun.... Can anybody tell me how its done, and if so, how hard is it to do?
DSCF1645.jpg

Here's a couple of pics with the saw placed under the wood to show how it will look.... Hopefully!

DSCF1638.jpg

DSCF1643.jpg

Biker

Looking good, looking very good.

I rehandled a folding saw of mine, but went with a straight handle instead of a curved one, seemed simpler and packed away smaller in a sidepocket. Made it from an old pickaxe handle. Mine also has the locking mechanism in it. Having seen the state of that finger in the worst injury thread you might want to rethink about installing the locking mechanism in your own saw. Remember, you'll be pushing on that blade as you cut, it takes just one jammed blade tip and it's curtains for your knuckles. Just a word of warning from a carpenter there.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
O.k.... So I've shaped and sanded the walnut handle now... looks ok, just need to cut the slots, fit it all together and finish the wood properly..... I fancy putting a chequer pattern on it like you get on the grip of a shot gun.... Can anybody tell me how its done, and if so, how hard is it to do?
Very hard to do - even with the right chequering chisels - so I have been told!
As to the lock - could you not fit a simple pin crosslock (ie a hole in the handle through which you push a removable steel pin that blocks the tang stopping it folding.
A grenade pin type thing would be quick to fit each time and should be secure enough :)

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I fancy putting a chequer pattern on it like you get on the grip of a shot gun.... Can anybody tell me how its done, and if so, how hard is it to do?

While I've not done this, it's my intention to do so when the roundtuit arrives. My current plan to achieve the knurling type pattern is to use a smallish file and much time. No idea how it might work out, but that's the plan.

Al

Oh yeah, starting to look very nice!

Last edited:

Biker

A grenade pin type thing would be quick to fit each time and should be secure enough :)

Yeah, that'll work just as good. Drilled and fitted in the right place too it'll also lock the blade closed as well.

That knurling effect on shotguns, I think that's a trade secret that is kept on a need to know basis. I once asked someone the same question and the reply was. "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you afterwards."

Needless to say I didn't persue the matter. :lmao:

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Mr Fenna... What a great idea..! A split pin with a keyring type pull like you get on a fire extinguisher... Thanks for that, i'll sort something out. As Biker points out, it could be the end of my nuckles if I don't!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I spent a bit of time googling the knurling effect used on gun stocks. It's apparently called chequering and the tools for the job can be quite cheap through to insanely expensive. From what I found it looks to be quite a skilled and laborious task. Not something to expect you'll produce good results on a first project though.

The tools look a little like small triangular files and can have two or three sets of teeth mounted together at preset spacings, depending on how many lines per inch.

A quick google for chequering will provide much more accurate info than I can offer here.

Al

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Thanks Al... It does look really hard to do and easy to mess up! I might try a simple carving of a compass rose or something...

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
It's finished....!!!! :cool:

My walnut handled folding saw prodject is now complete.... :D

It was harder than i thought, and all the work was done with hand tools, mostly my mora carver and a small chisel.
This pic shows the holes and carved counter sinking:
DSCF1722.jpg

The cut for the blade had to be done on a band saw (thanks to my mate Gavin)
DSCF1724.jpg

Lots of carving and sanding was required to make this slot for the blade lock the correct size and shape:
DSCF1725.jpg

Now its all together, i'm happy with the results:
DSCF1726.jpg

DSCF1730.jpg

DSCF1731.jpg

DSCF1732.jpg

Took me ages, but I've got a lovely saw now... :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE