Re-enforcing the hipbelt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how to reïnforce my hip belt or how to replace it with something more bulky for heavier loads.
As you can see below, its quite thin and I'm intended to cramm as much gear into this pack as I can :)

3-day_pack.jpg

Thanks for any coments

H

High on Hex

Hi Jurgen, It might sound odd but i've cut the belts off all but my 85litre backpack. In my experience they don't make any difference to a load under about 15kg and the thick padded belts won't accept bottle holders etc without modifying the attachments. If you do want to keep it though, ultralighters pad them out by sewing on a fabric tube which they then stuff with spare socks etc. giving them padding and storage.
Have a good trip mate.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That belt looks solid enough, but I can see that you might want more padding on it. Wonders can be worked with cut-up closed-cell mats and duct tape. :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have that bag - it's my going away for the weekend one. I certainly would not put much weight in it and it has absolutely no back support whatsoever so the waist belt is redundant. It's like the oneson the small bags - stops it flopping about but will not load bear at all.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
that type of bag the belt is for stabilty as it would be worn either above belt kit or over body armour generally these packs are worn high and tight because you are likely to be running crouched. you wont get the large bag feel I think you are after and you cant wear it on the hips as it is after all a daysack

even the plce bergans aren't cut for comfort as troops are meant to grin and bear it for short distances relying instead on their webbing for the main part of their kit carry needs. its also based on the molle system which has proven to be a failure design wise regarding the implimentation of it in the field. the marines thought it up then it went to the lowest bidder as usual which might be why. a lot of the copy stuff being churned out including snugpack uses the wrong grade of fabrics and webbing which compromise the product. anyone who has worn webtex kit will vouch for that.

simplest solution is get fitter in the shoulders by working through the bruises :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE