Re-enactment forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
does anyone know if one exists??
i need to check to see if some stuff is historically accurate and it seems like i cant without actually going (to canterbury) to talk to someone...
anyone know? google wont find any for me...

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
yeah, first page on google came up with wwII stuff.
stupidly, the only way i can email the people who are in charge of authenticity at my local group is to join the group first, which means i have to go along to see them, which means i have to look authentic, which i cant do because i cant contact them!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
What period? SWMBO is in the Sealed Knot.

http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/

i dont know, thats the issue. i know the clothing is fairly general, and i would like to be able to join in with all the viking stuff they do not just specific periods.
i really need info about safety within my specific group (draw weight limit on bows, thickness of helmet steel, armour etc) and also what period my sword is appropriate for.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
ah! that was the other thing! i was going to ask you what you know about clothing from the viking era and how i can make it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dead easy for the straight forward basics :)
Two Tunics, trews, cloak, hat, belt/pouch and shoes or boots.
Aim for wool and linen and leather and you're sorted :D
The re-enactors are funny about who's allowed to wear what colours, and they do things like Vikings wear tablet braid but Normans and Saxon don't, even though all three had the stuff. It's a way of showing differences on the battlefield apparantly.
Used to be that Viking reenactors wore short kirtles (tunics) and Saxons wore long, and that's all changed. It changes like fashion I've found over the years.
Best advice is find the kit guide for the group that you're interested in.

Specific groups do have their own kit guides. Nowadays these are usually available on line.
If you're looking 'generally', search for patterns for trews, viking kirtles and shoes. Lots of simple straightforward patterns about.

cheers,
Toddy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
right, im just going to join the club and then get all the info i can. i have already got a sword, which might not be right, and im about to buy a bow, but it might be to high a draw weight.
also, i dont how how thick my shield needs to be.
im going to make some general items, like kuksa's, spoons etc.
would be really helpful if i could just talk to them online!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well you can, but Bernard Hunt, (Bernie the Bolt) :cool: or Herts Trading (Ali the Trader) are both very straightforwardly good, and they'll see that the colours are right for you.

I'd offer to help Jordan, but right now I'm swamped :sigh: I'm sitting sewing the tablet braid on a Viking hat for a friend right now, while on and off reading the forum.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You might also google the Flat Earth Society. They're probably more general than you're looking for but they do have some members with Viking personas. They can at least steer you in the right direction.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
As toddy said, strict authenticity is different to what a society authenticity officer dictates, i remember being chastised for not wearing bright enough clothing, that greens and browns were out
heres the vikings societies online guides
http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/guides.htm
Al

draw weight on bow will need to be less than 30 and not victorian style
PM any questions but its been over 10 years since i left

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
im not going to wear bright colours, if i can im having brown or green, if not i might settle for black or perhaps a brighter green. but all the leather will be brown anyway.
dont worry about it toddy, it will be ages before i even get materials anyway, just a few words of advice so i can begin to get a plan in my head.
did they have brass and copper in the viking age? i heard low ranking warriors didnt have any kind of proper armour like chainmail and would just attach bits of metal to leather on their clothes. i have some sheets of brass and copper which are thin and light and coild be riveted onto a bit of leather for a little bit of shoulder, arm and chest protection.

did they have hodded tunics/cloaks? or were the hats always seperate.

and food, other than the obvious foragables in the UK, im interested in how they would have cooked bread, and what is the closest thing which is available today to the flower and cooking methods they used?
but they had bacon, the only thing i can cook anywhere, so if in doubt i will just eat bacon :D

thanks for all the help! :D

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
im not going to wear bright colours, if i can im having brown or green, if not i might settle for black or perhaps a brighter green. but all the leather will be brown anyway.
dont worry about it toddy, it will be ages before i even get materials anyway, just a few words of advice so i can begin to get a plan in my head.
did they have brass and copper in the viking age? i heard low ranking warriors didnt have any kind of proper armour like chainmail and would just attach bits of metal to leather on their clothes. i have some sheets of brass and copper which are thin and light and coild be riveted onto a bit of leather for a little bit of shoulder, arm and chest protection.

did they have hodded tunics/cloaks? or were the hats always seperate.

and food, other than the obvious foragables in the UK, im interested in how they would have cooked bread, and what is the closest thing which is available today to the flower and cooking methods they used?
but they had bacon, the only thing i can cook anywhere, so if in doubt i will just eat bacon :D

thanks for all the help! :D

join the vike

http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

dont spend money yet speak to them first, you will be made very welcome.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I was in the vike, Ive still got all my kit which i could sell if you're interested
ive some unused wool cloth and bits as well

If you are going to join a society, dont buy or make anything untill youve joined or at least gone to a few events, most local groups have training sessions and such, you need to be a member to do the battles at the shows for insurance and such ( or at least a day member)

Al

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i might join two groups, because i dont actually know anyone in that^ group yet.
i have bought a few bits of kit, but nothing major and stuff that will be good for pretty much all viking stuff.

i would be interested to see what kit you have for sale neoaliphant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE