Re-bristling an old scrubbing brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm clearing out the shed and garage and have come across a couple of old scrubbing brushes that are losing their bristles - or rather they look to be plant /wood fibre, rather than bristle.

I'd be interested in re-bristling them, as they have come down through the family, so I wondered if anyone has done this and has any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Maybe take the bristles from a stiff broom, and perform a transplant. But you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? Well is it punk!:lmao: It makes me think of Triggers old broom.

[video=youtube;s1VNNbSYdt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VNNbSYdt0[/video]

Last edited:

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I have to admire your commitment to your family heirlooms (never thought I would describe scrubbing brushes like that!), but I'm with Crosslandkelly - is it really worth the effort? You can buy new ones on Amazon for about 2 or 3 quid.

I guess you could get one off Amazon and re-use the bristles. Other than that, I'm not sure what readily available plant/wood fibre would be tough enough.

I think you may have to bite the bullet, tell yourself that they have had a long and useful life and respectfully send them off to scrubbing brush heaven!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Ah, but don't you ever have that feeling "I'd like to know how to do that"? Isn't that why we (or some of us!) struggle to learn things like bowdrill - it's not necessary nowadays, but nice to know how to do it.

Geoff :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Or perhaps rather than re-bristling, we should be looking at original manufacture? I found one or two bits that mentioned various vegetable fibres. This company has a good list of what they use: http://www.gordonbrush.com/material_descriptions.php

I've seen suggestions that each bundle of bristles is tied and then fixed into the hole with something like pitch - so perhaps easier to make a new brush than trying to drill out the existing tufts.

Geoff

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Did you people not make a brush at school! Brush making was a 1st year woodwork project.

1) drill holes in broom head to required depth
2) cut bristles to 2x required length + 2x hole depth
3) add glue to hole
4) bend bristles tightly in half and push through special tool (a block of metal with a round hole in it) to form a tight 'u' shaped bunch of bristles
5) insert bristles into hole blunt end first
6) repeat until all holes are full
7) final trim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE