RDA's and foods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have seen once on the TV that rice contains all the needed nutritions for a day. Whether this is true or not i really don't know.

Anyway. What i would like to know is what meals are there that are easily preparable and are full of lots of different supplements that are near the RDA.
Also as an added bonus, an easily preparable meal that makes you feel full.

Thanks, Emdiesse.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Emdiesse said:
I have seen once on the TV that rice contains all the needed nutritions for a day. Whether this is true or not i really don't know.

Anyway. What i would like to know is what meals are there that are easily preparable and are full of lots of different supplements that are near the RDA.
Also as an added bonus, an easily preparable meal that makes you feel full.

Thanks, Emdiesse.

Since quite a lot of people in the world eat almost nothing but rice, it's kinda handy that it's so nutritious. I'd say that was true, if you ate enough. You'd get kinda bored though.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I cant remember the exact facts of the top of my head but I wouldnt read to much into RDA's - these were statistics invented by the americans for their military during the war when guys started to suffer from illness brought on by deficiencies, RDA's were thus worked out as a measure for the content of ration packs.

Generally speak as long as you eat a balance diet you should be all right.

As for rice, if you eat it with beans (or similar and not the heinz type) you will generally get most of the protiens and such that you need - that said still vary your diet as rice and beans would be suicidally boring (but then I like food!)

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Just looked at your link;

"An average portion of rice (50g) provide about 11% of the abut estimated average daily requirement of protein. On portion also has only 245 kcal"

Quick bit of calculating, to provide total RDA of protein you'd need to eat 500g, or a med packet of rice. And about the same to provide the 2500kcal per day required by the average adult.

Not saying it can't be done, but thats a lot of rice to eat and not very exciting to eat.

Paul

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
RDA's are now considered an out of date measure.
They only give the minimum needed to survive, not thrive. You want to look at Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) to give a better idea of what's needed.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Garry whats so bad about baked beans? Do they have too much sugar and salt in or do they not have enough protein

student food is mostly rice and pasta with bits added to fill in the gaps.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Andy said:
Garry whats so bad about baked beans? Do they have too much sugar and salt in or do they not have enough protein

Nothings wrong with em Andy - but by beans I mean the dried stuff which is lighter to pack.

In the field the sugars ect in baked beans would be good and tasty!

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
From what little I've read on being veggie, the protein in rice is an incomplete protein. To get a complete protein you need to combine it with either legumes or dairy. You don't have to combine it in the same meal, just in a few hours of each other. So Gary was absolutly right to suggest rice and beans. Another possibility is rice pudding...
Brown rice is better for you than white rice, so if you're going to try, eat brown.
There are also several vitamins rice is missing that probably have some nasty side effects like making your skin green with polka dots and teeth purple or something, but I honestly can't remember what they might be. ;)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Andy said:

Student food, as in students at college, etc?

This is what made me think of the idea, lol.
I spend most of my money on food in college because none of it seems to fill me up.

So i though, i wonder what there is thats easy to do to shove in a lunchbox to eat at lunch. Why fork out a fortune of college prices for a greasy fry-up, etc, when you can have cheap benificial food that will fill you up.

I guessed that it would also be useful in bushcraft to whip up a quick meal.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Both Emma and I are at university and don't it meat so tend to rely on dried stuff a bit more then most. all these beans, lentils rice etc are very light and make a good balanced meal when done right. It can case problems though Men who don't eat meat are more likely to become impotent if they aren't careful about what they eat. On the other hand it's been shown that most people think more about what they eat and don't sufur from this.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Lots of great advice in this thread, basically boiling down to these words of wisdom:

Gary said:
Generally speak as long as you eat a balanced diet you should be all right.

All I'd add is that you should match your input to your output - more food if you're active, less if you're not

Also, perhaps a bit controversially, if you're very active then vitamin supplements are useful. I train 2 -3 hours a day, 6 days a week, and take a multivit and a big fizzy vitamin C tablet daily - before I started taking these I didn't recover sufficiently between training sessions and ended up overtraining. Now, despite looking forward to my 40th birthday later this year, the training's going well :p

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
All I know about rice is that it is relatively low in energy compared to other grains such as wheat etc, and that people in the Far East often suffer from Vitamin A deficiency, since rice is naturally lacking in vitamin A. Hence the GM vitamin-A rich rice known as 'Golden Rice', which is causing a lot of controversy (hit Google if you want to read all about it :) )

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
slightly off topic (well just a little) but I've always wondered why someone doesn't produce a dried muesli type food that contains absolutely everything that we need for a balanced diet. I'm sure it could be done very cheaply and sold in one person one month amounts. I mean I feed my dogs a dry meal that says its a complete balanced diet and they thrive on it. I buy it by the hundred weight sack and it costs me about £10 a month to feed two energetic dogs. Ok they do get some bones and some oily fish a couple of times a month too, but you could supplement your "food" with the occasional takeaway when you got too bored.

In my poor student days I survived almost totally on dahl and rice - if I could have bought a sack of generic "food" a month I could have saved even more money and had something to spend on beer as well as books!

George

jakunen

Native
In Japan, rice was THE staple of the practically everyone, s(till is today aside from MacDonalds), and the soldiers used to practically live off the stuff:

Rice with vegetables for breakfast;
Rice balls to eat on the march, sometimes sweetened with honey for energy too;
And for dinner - Rice with vegetables or if you lived by water with fish or bending the rules a bit you could have 'mountain whale' (venison to you and me) up in the hills.
Supplimented with fruit when they could get it.

So by adding a few other ingredients, yes it is possible to survive on a rice based diet.

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
I would add the caution that the availability of white rice has seriously affected the general health in Japan and much of the orient. White rice is basically starch with a little protein (still tasty though). If you want rice as a source of nutrients, you really should use brown rice, which does take longer to cook.

Rice and dahl are a brilliant combination. Staple diet in a lot of rural India is kitchdi (don't know how to spell it) which is mung beans (or other beans) boiled with rice in the same pot. One pot dishes always handy. Must say a bit boring by itself, so experiment with spices and flavour.

Once again rice and legumes.

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
Cant remember which one but I do remember that rice is massively short of one of the vitamins if eaten as white rice but that brown has loads. At one stage about 20 years ago one of the ethnic immigrant populations in the UK had much poorer health that that usual in their "original" country. Wasnt Vitamin A as all rice is short of that. Unfortunately cant remember the condition suffered in higher proportion here as that would enable me to remember which vitamin was missing.

Sorry not very helpfull I know. But the point is brown rice is much healthier than white. Pity I prefer the taste of white rice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been vegetarian most of my life, food's easy. The only 'grain' that's a complete protein is Quinoa (Keen-wa), and it's really tasty and it's got a
texture too.

Oats are excellent food, if you don't like porage then eat them like muesli and add things like chopped peanuts and sunflower seeds to make up the protein.
Better yet, make up a huge muesli bar tray bake and take it with you for energy and sustenance, I used to do that for the kids when we were out for a while, and I knew there were no dodgy additives in it.
This is a link to a very basic complete protein pick 'n' mix
http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm

Good bread is hard to beat when you're hungry add some cheese and apples and a mug of tea or hot chocolate and you've got the lot :)
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE