Razor strop boards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Evo stick worked ok ont he ones I have made - make sure you get all the corners or they will curl

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi guys. I was wondering if you could give me some info, i,ve just collected some Birch Polypore with the intent to make a strop board and was wondering what,if any,the treatment required for the fungi,i,e do you dry it out first then apply to a board,or is it ok just to use it straight away,fresh if you like.

Any thoughts please.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
i,ve just collected some Birch Polypore with the intent to make a strop board and was wondering what,if any,the treatment required for the fungi,i,e do you dry it out first then apply to a board,or is it ok just to use it straight away,fresh if you like.
There can be a little shrinkage and some warping while they are drying so I prefer to cut them roughly to shape, dry them out fully and then use wet and dry paper to finish them off to get a smooth flat surface for the strop.

:)
Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Alternatively cut the over sized - dry them between two heavy old books and then trim off the waste after glueing - gives a nice fit :biggthump

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Sorry guys,just another question,do you cut the fungi into strips or do you use the whole thing by flattening it between two books as Gary suggested. ooh i,m confused.

I ask because on one of Ray Mears Country Tracks he showed a strop board and the fungi looked fairly thin stuck to the board.

Help please.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There is no right or wrong way, just alternatives ;-)

I've never tried garys way of drying between books, i guess it gives you a nice flat surface and the fungi becomes compact. I just dry them out as in my post above. It drys very hard and is durable for the job.... I'll give garys method a go with my next crop.

:)
Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
It works ok for me - but a tip here - I usually trim it down anyway. IE if I want a strop 4x5x1" I will cut off all surplus fungi, skin ect and leave myself a flat(ish) white plate of meat (the heart of the fungi) roughly 6x7x2" to allow for shrinkage ect - this is then pressed until dry.

Once ready the board is glued in the BEST POSITION on the fungi and the spare fungi trimmed off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE