Razor blade disposal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok, to cut a long story short lately I have been trying to stay un-bearded. I've ran into a problem though, on a long trip where do I store my dull blades. What I would like to know is there any very compact containers that I can use to store them in so I'm not likely to cause myself an injury with them being mixed into some other kit. It would also benefit a friend of mine who is a type 1 diabetic and needs it for needles. I suppose is there a pocket sized sharps container on the market anywhere.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Safety blades come in a dispenser that has a slot on the bottom for used blades.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ok, to cut a long story short lately I have been trying to stay un-bearded. I've ran into a problem though, on a long trip where do I store my dull blades. What I would like to know is there any very compact containers that I can use to store them in so I'm not likely to cause myself an injury with them being mixed into some other kit. It would also benefit a friend of mine who is a type 1 diabetic and needs it for needles. I suppose is there a pocket sized sharps container on the market anywhere.

Your friend should be able to get free 'sharps' boxes from his GP, this type of thing

sharp_container.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHARPSGUARD...d=1389766439&sr=8-1&keywords=small+sharps+bin

We used to give the small ones out to dialysis patients for free and also free when I worked in substance abuse treatment. Look at the Amazon link and your problem is solved if he or she can't get free boxes from their GP or community nursing team (they should get free ones).

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Or learn to use a straight blade, then you can use your knife to shave with...;)

Or you could take a soap box and keep them stored in that.

Altoids type tin, tobacco tin, medium sized pill bottle...The list is endless, with a bit of imagination.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the really small pop bottles [panda pop] work well, the pop in them is normally undrinkabley cheap. It is what I have used when I used scapels. Your diabetic friend should get them free as his sharps need to be disposed of correctly.

I met a bloke at a trade fair that grows mushrooms. To grow his first cultures he went to the substance abuse clinic to get syringes. He left with clean needles, disposal tub, condoms, an offer of a HIV, hepB, and STD tests, and load of advice that made him feel quite guilty of abusing a free service. You also get to que up and chat to various interesting men of the road.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
A bit gaffer tape would cover the shaving blades.

Also, a lot of people that use needle exchanges throw away the sharps container. It's apparently too much of a 'give away, that you abuse drugs. Try the local chemist. They make up the kits I think and may have a small spare sharps bottle.

Problem comes with disposal. Chemists and the like wont take sharps unless in a proper container, not old bottles etc.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are the razor blades the cartridge type? If so they'll go right back into the slot they came out of. Are the the older double bladed type? If so, there's usually a slot on the bottom of the container to slide the used ones into.

I'm Type 2 but I do inject a non insulin drug (Victoza) I, like most diabetics, just use an old pill bottle while traveling or sometimes a larger bottle at home (such as an empty bleach bottle)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I dispose of blunt/broken/damaged needles, pins and cutter blades in a washed out vegetable pate tin. It comes with a resealable plastic lid. When I've had enough of it, I fill it with quick set plaster and just dump it into the bin. I didn't know about those sharps bins, Richard, thank you for the heads up and amazon link.

cheers,
M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
to be honest, you can just rub the blade blunt and chuck it at a badger. The back of a knife will make the razor blade far blunter than any cutting implement. Have just chucked them in the bin before.

How long are you going for ? If you shave every 2 to 4 days a bic razor lasts a long long time, 2 weeks to a month. are we going to hear about this on t.v. ?

to be honest, you can just rub the blade blunt and chuck it at a badger. The back of a knife will make the razor blade far blunter than any cutting implement. Have just chucked them in the bin before.

How long are you going for ? If you shave every 2 to 4 days a bic razor lasts a long long time, 2 weeks to a month. are we going to hear about this on t.v. ?

I'm hoping for a couple of weeks in Eastern Norway later on this year. I have a close friend who lives out there now. The type of blades I uses are the flat double edged type, but having to shave every 1 to 2 days and having a heavy stubble I only get a maximum of 2 shaves before I have to change blades.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Are you using cheap razors?

mach3.jpg

I use Mach 3 and before I retired from Nursing always recommended them to the families of elderly male patients as it made shaving a chap so easy. You'll get more than two shaves out of these and its well worth paying the extra IMHO.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

mach3.jpg

I use Mach 3 and before I retired from Nursing always recommended them to the families of elderly male patients as it made shaving a chap so easy. You'll get more than two shaves out of these and its well worth paying the extra IMHO.

Plusn 1. I use a generic equivalent at about half the price but the multiblade cartriges are far, far better than the old double blade flats. I have a medium beard and can get 4 days to a week shaving every day with these. At the end of that time, it still shaves closer than a new blade in the old double blade category.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

mach3.jpg

Modern new fangled nonsense I tell you!
Wilkinson Sword Blades Classic Double-Edged Razor +5 Blades £4.22 from Amazon. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE