Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minttree

Nov 11, 2005
Herts.
Hi Guys/Girls,

I recently read somewhere that Ray Mears courses weren't that good. I was contemplating a woodlore class. If they are indeed a bit weak, can anyone recommend a better one?

Thanks

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have to say I haven't been on any of their courses but I'd be suprised to find anybody on here suggesting that they are running weak courses.
You may find people can't agree on Woodlore's value for money but I don't think the content of their courses are in much doubt, certainly within bcuk's membership :)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I should imagine woodlore courses are some of the best around, though they are extremely expensive, and that is by no means a guarantee that they will be better then those courses by any of the other school around..

Check this out... let us know how you get on!
:beerchug:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
jerv said:
how on earth were you going to get on one they are fully booked for ever it seems?

ask to be put on the Woodlore mailing list. They advertise last minute places (usually caused by cancellations) on there - that's how I got onto the Woodlore traking course 2 1/2 years ago.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I completed the Woodsmoke Woodlander course in September this year and i can thoroughly recommend it. Prior to selecting this course i too tried to get on the Woodlore course but they were/are so booked up except for the Arctic courses i gave in.

Send off for the Woodsmoke information pack and i think you will be impressed. As for the cost of these type of course, just think about what you get for the money, a week of excellent instruction and practice in some fine woodlands where you can practice all the skills taught, plus all of your meals. If you work out the hourly rate for the instruction alone it's well worth the money. And personnaly speaking i'd rather have a week with this group doing something enjoyable than a week in Spain rotting on a beach.

If you or anyone want to PM me for any other info please do. ( I am not connected to this company in any way)

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
I too have compleated this course and agree with Peds8045
It was one of the best weeks I have had, total freedom in an ancient wood for a full week.
Very informal with brilliant instructors.
Rays apprentices I believe.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I attended a Woodlore Fundemaental couse. And if anyone is saying that that course is weak, well I don't reckon they've done one.

I learnt so much in that week, it was amazing, the instructors were great and each day started about 6:eek:oam and finished about 10:00pm - 1:00am depending on what we had been doing that day.

Weak my @rse.

Cheers,

Tony

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I have attended two Woodlore courses, a weekend cookery course and the fundamental week course.

The cookery one was lead by Mr Mears himself, the Fundamental was lead by Gary Wale, Juha Rankinen, Ben McNutt and Lisa Fenton. Both great courses with excellent instructors, hardly weak.

Interesting to note that Gary ( www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk ) and Ben ( www.woodsmoke.uk.com ) both left to set up their own Bushcraft Schools. Having learnt under both people, they make great teachers and considerably cheaper too.

Worth a look if you cant get on Woodlores.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
I Went on Bearclawbushcraft's "Green horn" weekend and have to say that Gary and his mate JP were both outstanding instructors who both obviosly enjoy their jobs, I had a fantastic weekend and am sure that the longer courses are as good.

A big thumbs up from me :D

bow drill

Oct 12, 2005
wales
been on fundemental with woodlore and the journey man can highly recomend them by the way have you seen Woody's new web site he has started up looks good hope to go next year

bowdrill :beerchug: ;) :beerchug: :rolleyes:

I'm booked on a Woodlore fundimental Bushcraft course in May 2006. I booked it around june or july this year. I am on the Woodlore mailing list, and as soon as they announce dates for new courses, you get mailed to let you know. they took about 10 days or so to get booked up fully, so as they get announced, you get your chance to make a booking

MARK II

Jul 31, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
I have also been no the f.bushcraft with woodlore ,it was my introduction to bushcraft and it was one of the best things I have ever done .I recommend it whole heartedly.

Mark

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Celt_Ginger said:
I'm booked on a Woodlore fundimental Bushcraft course in May 2006. I booked it around june or july this year. I am on the Woodlore mailing list, and as soon as they announce dates for new courses, you get mailed to let you know. they took about 10 days or so to get booked up fully, so as they get announced, you get your chance to make a booking

Really?!?

So am I!! Took me about 3 months of waiting for a space to come up, but Woodlore released a new week at the end of May.

Very much looking forward to it. :D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have been on the Fundemental, Tracking, Prim Tech, Birch Bark, Adv Birch Bark, Camp Craft and Artic courses with Woodlore.......all extremely extremely good, i would recomend them without hesitation. You cant beat a bit of Juha :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE