Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
this weekend I am doing a walk through the woods course with RM.!
I bought it as part of a Birthday present for my wife, (she cant stand all this stuff)
anyhow I am so excited even at my age its nice to look forward to this, especially after buying the RM woodlore knife at the highest price ever paid so far :(.

I like his demeanour and calmness so opposite to me , I may get cheeky and get him
to sign some of the paperwork as long as i can keep it out of sight from the old lady<!!!

I feel like a kid meeting his Hero, I know it sounds stupid but hey keeps me smiling. !!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Hope it lives up to your expectations he seems like a decent bloke on camera but then again so did Rolf Harris, you know the old saying about never meeting your hero's

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
That'll be lovely mate, I spent all weekend ill tucked up watching him old shows, I bet he's well chilled out! Have a good time!

Last edited:
Terry.m, I'm sure you will have a terrific time! It is special to be able to learn from such an accomplished teacher and practitioner.

I am taking a class this week as well. I'm investing four days in a class to improve my bear tracking skills. We will trail American Black Bear through rugged terrain in Northern California.

I expect to have a good time. But I'm still jealous of your opportunity to learn from Mr. Mears!

- Woodsorrel

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
My wife met Mr Mears at a vet conference a couple of years ago and amazingly no one seemed to know who he was. She got him to sign some paperwork for the both of us, very decent of him I thought. If we had known he was there I would have sent her with one of his books to sign. Good luck on the walk.
Riven.
ps Woodsorrel, when tracking bears who is tracking who :)

... ps Woodsorrel, when tracking bears who is tracking who :)

Good question, Riven! :) If you find the bear, are you successful or not?

It is nice to see bears (from the outside). But I have no desire to see one from the inside.

Terry.m, if it hasn't occurred to you already, bring a copy of one of his books with you. In the course of conversation ask him if he would inscribe it to Woodsorrel, oops I meant you! :)

- Woodsorrel

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Print this up large and get him to sign it - it is from one of the first articles he had published in magazines (I wrote for them too but can't recall the title!) - a blast from the past!RM portrait.JPG

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I took a group of pupils on a Woodlore course once, many years ago. We were very ably instructed by Lawrence Clark but were amazed when Ray himself showed up to see how we were and what we were up to. We had been working on spoon carving as a sort of ongoing project through the week with many of the kids getting a little frustrated by the challenge of it. So, when Ray showed up, one of the questions asked was how long it would take him to carve a spoon; his answer: 20 minutes or so. One of the boys said, "Go on then" and he did. Seventeen minutes later, he produced a very elegant, entirely usable spoon, much to everyone's amazement. He was superb and really does do what he says 'on the tin'.

You'll have a fascinating walk and will learn an enormous amount; I hope you enjoy it!

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Hope you enjoy it mate,
I'm sure he is a great bloke in real life. Many people who have had the chance to meet him have only good things to say about him.

Enjoy !

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Good question, Riven! :) If you find the bear, are you successful or not?

It is nice to see bears (from the outside). But I have no desire to see one from the inside.

Terry.m, if it hasn't occurred to you already, bring a copy of one of his books with you. In the course of conversation ask him if he would inscribe it to Woodsorrel, oops I meant you! :)

- Woodsorrel

i already have one signed , might get him to do another though.!

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I took a group of pupils on a Woodlore course once, many years ago. We were very ably instructed by Lawrence Clark but were amazed when Ray himself showed up to see how we were and what we were up to. We had been working on spoon carving as a sort of ongoing project through the week with many of the kids getting a little frustrated by the challenge of it. So, when Ray showed up, one of the questions asked was how long it would take him to carve a spoon; his answer: 20 minutes or so. One of the boys said, "Go on then" and he did. Seventeen minutes later, he produced a very elegant, entirely usable spoon, much to everyone's amazement. He was superb and really does do what he says 'on the tin'.

You'll have a fascinating walk and will learn an enormous amount; I hope you enjoy it!

nice to know, many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE