Ray Mears Woodlore Bushcraft Knife Blade Kit :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ooh, that winds me up! That seller should get some serious trouble. It is flat out not a Woodlore knife, nor is it endorsed by Ray Mears. It's just a billet of 01 tool steel cut to the same dimensions - not hardened, not tempered, not ground, not made by Alan Wood (he's advertising it with a picture of a genuine Woodlore).

I really, really hate people who post such misleading descriptions. I might even complain to eBay myself.

If anyone is in contact with either Alan or Ray, you might want to draw this to their attention.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I can never decide if these people are actually fraudsters or just plain stupid. It's like making your own cola in the bathtub and selling it as "Coca-Cola".

I've gotten into a few spats on evilBay with people selling cigars - usually el cheapo Dominican "Cohibas" which they seem to think are the genuine Cuban article. Generally it turns out that they're just clueless muppets who don't know the first thing about what they're selling.

Personally, I always look at a sellers previous sales - if they sell anything and everything, I assume they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I agree it looks misleading, however I'm halfway through making a knife for the fun of it and used my existing RM knife. When I showed a friend the shaped blade he commented "..a Ray Mears style knife then.."

It does seem to be a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers :)

I think the first knife is sharp practice (npi) , but the second somehow seems less so.

how about the disclaimer on this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fire-Bow-back...112278670QQcategoryZ16042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
JohnC said:
It does seem to be a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers :)

I think the first knife is sharp practice (npi) , but the second somehow seems less so.

The second one carefully states "style";the first guy is deliberately using a copyrighted product to misslead customers.Scum :(

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I see the first guy has now added some additional text to his listing stating it is not a Ray Mears Knife, he is still a con artist in every respect though - makes my blood boil

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
maver said:
I see the first guy has now added some additional text to his listing stating it is not a Ray Mears Knife, he is still a con artist in every respect though - makes my blood boil

At least it has let him know he can't get away with it. :)

I'm not sure if I'm angry at the con artists selling the stuff, or the stupidity of the buyers. I can't believe that someone is marketing and trying to sell a firebow kit!!! My God, he's gathered up a few sticks and is selling them. I'd love to see the Instructions he provides........ "Move bow backwards and forwards quickly until you have a roaring campfire" I think I'll start selling my lawn clippings as "Genuine Emerald Isle lucky grass, guarenteed to be greener than other grass"

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Celt_Ginger said:
I'm not sure if I'm angry at the con artists selling the stuff, or the stupidity of the buyers. I can't believe that someone is marketing and trying to sell a firebow kit!!! My God, he's gathered up a few sticks and is selling them. I'd love to see the Instructions he provides........ "Move bow backwards and forwards quickly until you have a roaring campfire" I think I'll start selling my lawn clippings as "Genuine Emerald Isle lucky grass, guarenteed to be greener than other grass"

Go on,you'll make a fortune. :D

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
The kit seller makes it sound dead simple but its not as simple as that and in particular heat treating the blade with a blow lamp is not going to work, the blade is too big for any blow lamp I have ever seen.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for that Shing. I had suspected that might be the case as I had read that some high class makers outsource the heat treating. If it was really a two minute job with a blow lamp, why would they need to do that?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just about to say what Shing said, I could HT it in the firebox of my solid fuel Rayburn cooker, Shing could do an easier and more precice job in his built for purpose furnace but anyone with a less significat heat source is going to get nowhere near!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE