Ray Mears on TV this week

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'd really like to see these. Bit of a long shot but two episodes (of "World of
Survival") are available for public viewing if you have a British Library readers'
card (!) and I've watched one of them already in their sound archive room.

Since I don't want to get cable or sky and the BBC don't seem to be in a rush
to make these series available on DVD I might contact the UKTV people and
ask them if they'd consider archiving the remaining episodes with the Brit Lib.

Not that this is of much help to people without a readers' pass, mind - but they
are quite easy to get hold of these days if you happen to be doing some
research into indigenous knowledge, ethnobotany etc. etc. for example... :rolleyes:

If you have all the UKTV channels then this website will let you know when
these, or other, programmes are on. Type the relevant text into the search
engine at http://www.uktv.co.uk/ and then make sure you select the option
to search "What's on UK TV" rather than 'entire site' to find out when the
episodes are on.

Jo

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I think that, because it tends to skirt a bit close to the "not entirely legal", it
doesn't tend to get discussed on the forum, and when it does the thread
would usually get closed or perhaps heavily edited.

If you search for 'petition' or 'petitions' you can see info about attempts
to persuade the BBC to make these older programmes more available.

I'm not sure if the BBC or Woodlore are cheered, indifferent to or enraged
by attempts to make footage more available online (via download sites)
but as a librarian I quite like the idea of the original authors getting their
fair share of copyright fees etc. etc.. On the other hand, even if stuff is
available to view for free it doesn't stop me wanting to have my own copy
anyway :D

Jo

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
This was covered in a different topic that i can't find :eek:

The answer i gave was roughly this:

If you have video of any of the series that is fine as long as you video'ed it yourself. If you start doing copies for anyone else it is illegal to do so as it is in effect distribution of copyrighted material.

Same thing with downloading, the legallity of downloading from peer-to-peer websites has yet to be totally classified. The general consensus however is that it is the same as the video, unauthorised distribution. Even if you have transferrred you video onto your hard drive it still cannot be copied to give to other people.

The bottom line was : If you have it, well done and keep hold of them. But don't give copies to anyone else.
Don't download them as you are the recipiant of copyrighted possibly illegal material and risk prosecution.

That is the official line as i understand it.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
as i understand it there's a new series with a heavy tilt towards plants in the making. Should be great. I'm not sure if the very sad news of Ray's wife has held it up though.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
What sad news? I'm in the US so I don't hear much about Ray Mears. I have seen his program Extreme Survival on tv. I loved it. So much so that I bought two of his books so far. What has happened?

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Unfortunately Ray's wife died of cancer earlier this year, in spring i think. very sad indeed, i cant imagine how i'd deal with such a loss. I do not know them personally, but i was told on good authority. Might be nice if all of us inspired to get out there and live a little in the sticks by Ray could donate a little money to cancer research or a chosen Woodlore charity? I feel bad for mentioning it now, its obviously a very sad time for family and friends and i'm sure they need time to mourn. by all acounts she was a wonderful person.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
That is indeed sad. My wife works in palliative care which is almost exclusively cancer patients and lost her grandmother to breast cancer. Happily, her mother beat breast cancer.

As for sharing of videos, thanks for clarification of the official line. Here in Canada, sharing of media through peer to peer networks (and by sharing I mean both uploading and downloading) is not illegal and there is a brisk trade in television programming. It would be otherwise nearly impossible to experience british programming of this nature over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE