Ray Mears on TV During January - LOTS!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Digital Viewres can catch Ray Mears on UKTV G2 (111) during January where he seems to be on LOADS eg Bushcraft starts at 11PM on the 1st of Jan and runs through to 4AM and starst up again next morning. From then on its on most days for teh next three weeks or so.

One for Skyplkus if you have it or good old VHS if you don't. :p

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Zammo said:
Do you get UKTV G2 on freeview?
Alas no.

UKTV G2 is on Sky 111, NTL 126, Telewest 125
UKTV Documentary is on Sky 532, NTL 208, Telewest 225
UKTV History is on Freeview 12, Sky 537, NTL 203, Telewest 203 (both 203, not a typo).

UKTV website is http://uktv.co.uk/ (scroll down for TV listings and search).

There seem to be many threads about Ray Mears' programmes, past and
future - I wonder if we should have a sort of 'Mearswatch' metathread :)

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
I've never seen him but with all the buzz here I thought I should google and catch up, and :lmao: . Sorry all. Maybe it's because I've lived most of my life with "first nations" that I'm not impressed by claims of using skills vanished for 10,000 years in his corner of the world, or maybe its because I'm a girrrrrl and machismo does not wash. However, this chap is a trademarked business I do not want to miss. Brilliant concept. Found a niche. Has he made a million yet?

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Fair point :) One that a number of people here would agree with
I'm sure.

I don't think I'd have heard of bushcraft without Ray Mears though
and it seems to be a very interesting topic. For me, it's a pleasant
diversion (I am an 'armchair bushcrafter') and I like finding out how
things could be done without necessarily wanting to do everything
myself. Plus it's great television! Similarly, Howard Goodall's recent
television programme on 'How music works' was wonderful and
I really liked hearing his explanations of how some of the music
that I like has been put together, although it didn't make me want
to start learning an instrument.

I suppose it depends on your perspective though. Probably if you're
already familiar with the concept then watching it on the telly could
be a bit redundant... bound to be something novel though?

My background is science and science communication and I enjoy
watching, listening to, hearing, talking with etc. anyone who can
talk knowledgeably - and passionately - on a topic about which I
know little. Especially if there's a wee bit of science in there!

Right I am rambling a bit... :D

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Jodie said:
Alas no.

UKTV G2 is on Sky 111, NTL 126, Telewest 125
UKTV Documentary is on Sky 532, NTL 208, Telewest 225
UKTV History is on Freeview 12, Sky 537, NTL 203, Telewest 203 (both 203, not a typo).

UKTV website is http://uktv.co.uk/ (scroll down for TV listings and search).

There seem to be many threads about Ray Mears' programmes, past and
future - I wonder if we should have a sort of 'Mearswatch' metathread :)

Are Nut's :(

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
For whichever bit of the post you didn't like, I apologise :)

Best wishes,
Jo
(off to make some chocolate cake - I'd share it but the technology's a bit lacking)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
My bet is that people will, after seeing the new programme, "Google" and
find themselves here - which is exactly what I did after watching a day of
cleverness with knives, trees and canoes in July. [UKTV History - hooray]

<<cake's nearly ready>>

P.S. Shambling Shaman - TV channels put themselves on Freeview all
the time so there's always a chance that some of the UKTV output that
currently isn't freely available will become so in the future. Film4 = a good
example!

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
SowthEfrikan said:
I've never seen him but with all the buzz here I thought I should google and catch up, and :lmao: . Sorry all. Maybe it's because I've lived most of my life with "first nations" that I'm not impressed by claims of using skills vanished for 10,000 years in his corner of the world, or maybe its because I'm a girrrrrl and machismo does not wash. However, this chap is a trademarked business I do not want to miss. Brilliant concept. Found a niche. Has he made a million yet?

What's a "first nation"?
I don't think machismo applies to RM's approach at all.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
nobby said:
What's a "first nation"?
I don't think machismo applies to RM's approach at all.

First Nations is one of the terms we have over here for the pre-Columbian native inhabitants of North America. Also used the ubiquitous but out of style Indian as well as Native American. Which form used is often dependent on where you are (Here in Canada the government prefers First Nations nowadays) and who you talk to.

I'd have to agree that SowthEfrican might be jumping the gun in categorizing Mears' work as some kind of wang-swinging pissing contest. SowthEfrican, as someone who has spent appreciable time with First Nations, I'm curious to hear what you have to say about his work and opinion of native cultures around the world.

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
You know, I may have been jumping the gun on Ray Mears, having only his own website by which to judge him, and perhaps I should see his programs before commenting. However, it's also a little like not having to eat an egg because you can smell it's bad.

The point being NOT that Mears is rotten, but that you don't have to go through an entire program to get a picture - especially if the picture is formed by his own words on his own website. His claims amuse me.

As for his relationship with "first nations", it looks like they have helped him make money by giving him the foundations to establish a business that people love. That is not a bad thing, just an observation.

Hope you enjoyed your programs. I'm toddling off to watch the link someone kindly provided - maybe my opinion of his machismo will change. :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
SowthEfrikan said:
You know, I may have been jumping the gun on Ray Mears, having only his own website by which to judge him, and perhaps I should see his programs before commenting. However, it's also a little like not having to eat an egg because you can smell it's bad.

The point being NOT that Mears is rotten, but that you don't have to go through an entire program to get a picture - especially if the picture is formed by his own words on his own website. His claims amuse me."

- You are probably right but 40 minutes of moving pictures, coupled with a read of one of his books plus the website would give you a rounder view of the man. How do his claims "amuse you"?

As for his relationship with "first nations", it looks like they have helped him make money by giving him the foundations to establish a business that people love. That is not a bad thing, just an observation.

- It seems to me that if any culture has a desire to maintain a stone age life style and 'borrow' metal tools and alcohol from the 21st century they can hardly complain if modern life tends to exploit or ignore them. If, however, they move with the changes of time they can maintain their identity and cohesion on equal terms. To paraphrase a Cherokee that I heard speak last year, "You either sit on your drunken **** in rags bemoaning your lot, or you compete on the modern terms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE