Ray Mears Hits Back at Anti 4x4 Lobby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's pretty much exactly what's happening. Although they seem to have under-estimated the necessary capacity of the park and ride carparks...

Anyway, I didn't really want to get into a detailed discussion of transport planning - I just wanted to refute the conspiracy-mongering up-thread. ;)

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Please tell our goverment in Germany about whtat happens if public transport becomes privaticed! They trie this now and I don't want to buy a car, if I don't have to!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I saw a bus going past my house (also in West Wales) two days ago. It was going to somewhere called "NOT IN SERVICE".

I've also been using my 4x4 (Fourtrak) to tow crashed cars out of hedgerows in the snow. I would love to have to pull out a Prius.

Richard

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Ricksurfgod wrote "I think you'll find the majority of farmers in england binned off landies many a year ago for their jap counterparts. This was mainly because of reliabilty issues and the fact that you get a lot more bang for your buck with toyoter et all (shame for landy really). Its only the rich ones these days that bother with the solihull stuff from new as like most of the townies its a status symbol."

Not round here (West Wales though). Loads of Landies, new and old, whilst the hard core use Fourtraks from when they were cheap from Llanybydder.

There are a number of those cab things though.

Why doesn't anybody make a Utility Vehicle any more (at a utility price). I personally prefer selectable 4WD, tends to imrove the fuel consumption in 'normal' use. Why did Landrover abandon that idea ?

RIchard

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Its only the rich ones these days that bother with the solihull stuff from new as like most of the townies its a status symbol..."

This was my 'status symbol' on Monday :)

tess-1.jpg

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Its only the rich ones these days that bother with the solihull stuff from new as like most of the townies its a status symbol."

Gosh, those ignorant, rich townies have no sense!
duh.gif

Spending their (obviously overpaid) earnings to buy paracord bracelets, and Land Rovers!
sign0195.gif

Is there no end to their madness? :confused:

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Originally Posted by lavrentyuk
"Its only the rich ones these days that bother with the solihull stuff from new as like most of the townies its a status symbol."

Wasn't originally posted by me. Spot the quotation marks, it was Ricksurfgod !

I like Landies, as I write, loads round here - old and new.

Richard

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
This was my 'status symbol' on Monday :)

tess-1.jpg

Bloomin townie! Spraying polystyrene onto your status symbol to make it look like you actually use it in snow.
happy0054.gif

Luckily, lavrentyuk has warned us about the reliability evils of LR, so your photo probably shows your 'status symbol' wanting for a tow truck!
happy0009.gif

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Luckily, lavrentyuk has warned us about the reliability evils of LR, so your photo probably shows your 'status symbol' wanting for a tow truck!

The tow truck wouldn't make it up the track :)

The battery was a bit ropey but it did start after a few attempts, shoveling the 'polystyrene' of the roof rack took a little longer. :)

"..."Its only the rich ones these days that bother with the solihull stuff from new as like most of the townies its a status symbol."

Wasn't originally posted by me. Spot the quotation marks, it was Ricksurfgod!..."

No worries :) Mine isn't 'new' from Solihull anyway.

Last edited:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I wanted a Lnadrover, but its a shared car and 'er indoors doesn't do noisy cars.

We ended up with Focus C-Max, which is described as an "Urban Activity" vehicle. I think that it is fantastic around the town and on motorways, and for a 2 wheel drive car it makes a reasonable fist of driving on grass, but its no landy and gets a bit emotional in the snow.:drive:

So far I have resisted the temptation to say "I told you so" because I know that she is thinking the same :D

A mate of mine bought a Range Rover, OK only a small one, on e-bay a few months ago for £1200 and its doing really well. I was almost tempted to get one as a second car, but you try buying one now and it will cost you more than twice that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE