Ray Mears Handbooks 1+2

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Just been on Amazon and noticed these would be released in september .Sorry no link ,but it would take me ages because i am rubbish with computers
Andrew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just been on Amazon and noticed these would be released in september .Sorry no link ,but it would take me ages because i am rubbish with computers
Andrew

They sound quite interesting.

Handbook 1

Product Description
Ray Mears' field craft skills have been acquired through working alongside many of the remaining hunter-gatherer communities of the world today. In this handbook he shares the knowledge gained in thirty years of study and invites you to use all your senses to appreciate the natural world in a new way.

How to identify animals by their tracks and to follow them

How to find animals in different weather conditions and at different seasons

How to imitate animal calls

What to wear, what kit to use

'These skills have had a profound impact on me, they have changed my feeling for nature. Developing an eye for wildlife similar to that of our prehistoric ancestors brings the joy of many close encounters with otherwise shy secretive creatures. But beyond even this it develops a deep sense of respect and connectedness with the world of nature and our beautiful planet.' - Ray Mears

Handbook 2

Product Description
Ray draws together his well-practised carving skills in this handbook. He teaches basic techniques including safety and choosing your tools, step-by-step instructions on how to carve, from a simple spoon to weighty canoe paddle. It is illustrated with Ray's photos and designs to copy.

How to choose the appropriate wood for the job

How to use different tools - straight knife, crooked knife, axe, adze. saw, hand-drill

How to decorate your carvings

How to preserve your carvings

'When I carve I feel a kinship with the forest. Carving is an earth skill which comes into its own when you make a journey. Native people have a saying that I have long embraced: "do much with little".' - Ray Mears

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
ok, FOUND EM....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ray-Mears-H...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265291000&sr=8-3

Product Description
Ray Mears' field craft skills have been acquired through working alongside many of the remaining hunter-gatherer communities of the world today. In this handbook he shares the knowledge gained in thirty years of study and invites you to use all your senses to appreciate the natural world in a new way.

How to identify animals by their tracks and to follow them

How to find animals in different weather conditions and at different seasons

How to imitate animal calls

What to wear, what kit to use

'These skills have had a profound impact on me, they have changed my feeling for nature. Developing an eye for wildlife similar to that of our prehistoric ancestors brings the joy of many close encounters with otherwise shy secretive creatures. But beyond even this it develops a deep sense of respect and connectedness with the world of nature and our beautiful planet.' - Ray Mears

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ray-Mears-H...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265291000&sr=8-2

Product Description
Ray draws together his well-practised carving skills in this handbook. He teaches basic techniques including safety and choosing your tools, step-by-step instructions on how to carve, from a simple spoon to weighty canoe paddle. It is illustrated with Ray's photos and designs to copy.

How to choose the appropriate wood for the job

How to use different tools - straight knife, crooked knife, axe, adze. saw, hand-drill

How to decorate your carvings

How to preserve your carvings

'When I carve I feel a kinship with the forest. Carving is an earth skill which comes into its own when you make a journey. Native people have a saying that I have long embraced: "do much with little".' - Ray Mears

Proper bushcrafting books from Ray at long last. Looking good.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Follow Mesquites' links, they are the underlined names of the books!

Nice little earner, I wonder if it will be a regurgitation or brand new interesting information. Will i be better the the Survival Handbook he did in the early 90s? We'll have to wait and see!

Edit to add: LOL, I cross posted with your cross post!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Damn Mesquite, I thought I was being all clever and helpful then :lmao:

You were....and so was I. I just beat you to it :D

Edit... just a thought they might be tied in with his new series he was doing last summer, especially the tracking one.

One of the lectures I went to he mentioned about going out to Africa to track leopards. I think he also said it was going to be an ITV programme but not 100% sure

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
... just a thought they might be tied in with his new series he was doing last summer, especially the tracking one.

One of the lectures I went to he mentioned about going out to Africa to track leopards. I think he also said it was going to be an ITV programme but not 100% sure

His new series is going to be the ITV series Survival making a return after many years. Not related to bushcraft/survival in anyway, but natural history and animals. I think he is covering wolves, leopards and bear. Ray is just the show runner in the same way DA presents BBCs The Natural World.

These books look good though from the description, but I doubt he will be making programmes based around them.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hope he's not leaving the Beeb completely?
Books sound intriguing, but obsessed with Mors' Bushcraft book just now.

He's actually not contracted to the beeb. The programmes he does on BBC are his programmes financed by them. The Survival series on ITV is ITVs baby and he'll just be presenter. The BBc would be daft not to finance his future projects as he is so popular, hence them taking a massive punt on his series of forgotten Brit Explorers, which they were very pessimistic about at first.

Here's some info on Survival...

http://www.itv.com/classictvshows/documentary/survival/default.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/apr/02/survival-ray-mears-itv

Last edited:
He's actually not contracted to the beeb. The programmes he does on BBC are his programmes financed by them. The Survival series on ITV is ITVs baby and he'll just be presenter. The BBc would be daft not to finance his future projects as he is so popular, hence them taking a massive punt on his series of forgotten Brit Explorers, which they were very pessimistic about at first.

Here's some info on Survival...

http://www.itv.com/classictvshows/documentary/survival/default.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/apr/02/survival-ray-mears-itv

Thanks for clarifying, I'll have a read later

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE