Ray Mears fact checks The Revenant :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well those buffalo would sure break the branches better on the way through the trees. :D
(and being astride a large angry ungulate might deter that bear a little too.) :eek:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Didn't make me smile.

The fact that a man who has made his living from traveling the world, learning oodles about indigenous people and treating us to televised views of places in the world that we can only dream of visiting is brought down to reviewing the accuracy of a multi-million dollar film is pretty shameful. It is entertainment dressed up... and those saying it's a 'bushcraft' film.... behave! It is simply a funnel for box office monies... nothing to do with living in harmony with the earth. How do you think they filmed it? With solar-powered cameras? You reckon they brought the crew in on foot? Do you really believe what you see on the screen is real?

Back to Ray, he can earn his money by appearing in any gathering place in the world. He is so skilled, so knowledgeable and so willing to share that knowledge... does he really need to be consulted about a film that will gross millions? Does he need to lend his name to the publicity drive? He could sell a knife with his name attached and earn more money per year than the majority of us could hope for.

Personally I think less of him for taking the interview, let alone what he said in it. He could of made more of the opportunity, but nah... the money is good, why bother!

But nevermind... the great Ray has spoken... he's chipped in on a popular film. Let us all bow and those who haven't seen the film... damn you... grab your wallet and pay for something that funnels money towards that film.... don't worry about the entertainment issue... Ray has backed it, just give them your money. There should be some sort of Paypal donation portal to pay your money to, whether you see the film or not... the millionaires need to maintain their lifestyle. Help them. Help the needy.

WTH was that all about. Ray was being interviewed and was asked about the film. What's he supposed to do? Ignore the question and reply that he hasn't got time to answer that because he should be teaching about bushcraft. Ridiculous.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The actual event happened in May. No bears really in winter, and he survived by eating roots and berries for the most part, which he wouldn't have been able to do in winter either. They wouldn't have been out at that time of year anyway. Trapping season was spring to fall. Beaver aint daft and hole up when cold, things tend to be frozen and traps are set near or in water.

I realise that I'm just saying the man was mauled by a bear he survived freezing temperatures and made it 200 miles to safety, doesn't matter what rays opinions are the fact is Hugh glass did it...

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Really good mountain man documentary here. Which does tell the true story of Hugh Glass. About 10 mins in.
<br>[video=youtube;8MYIItApGPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYIItApGPA[/video]

Last edited:

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Poor old Ray seems to be getting a bit of a mauling himself for just answering a few questions. After seeing the film I had a few questions about the veracity of the tale & skills he used. The additional information in the above posts was appreciated. Having dealt with a bear mauling victim & spent time living out in sub zero temperatures I would say survival was an impossibility, but the basic original Glass story seems to be based on truth. Remove the extreme cold, swimming in freezing rivers ( 10 mins max) & riding over cliffs & it evidently is a potentially survivable crisis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE