Rawhide/bark quiver ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've been experimenting with flint over winter and into spring and made a handful of pressure flaked arrow heads which I have recently fitted to some hazel shafts. Thing is, I don't have anywhere to put them so am now looking at making a quiver to keep them in.

But I'm not really into my archery so haven't really seen many designs to look at and come up with something.

I've done a bit of browsing on the web and seen some rawhide quivers which appear to be folded and stitched along the bottom and side...
http://www.mountainridgetrading.com/ApachebowsetLrg.jpg

But I think this could mean that the flint tips could get caught in the bottom where there is only a small gap.

So I was thinking about using rawhide or bark to make a much tube, a bit like can be seen here in patrick's article for a tinder container: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/DIY/Tinder-Container-Tutorial/Page-2.html (But longer obviously :p )

Does anyone have any experiance in making quivers from hide or bark, or something similar, and have any examples I could take a peek at for some inspiration?

TIA.

Andy.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
After reading through those, It is the "plains" style quiver i want to avoid as I think some of my arrows may get stuck.

But there are some great images on the paleo website. Also found this site after thinking about searching for paleo archery. http://www.occpaleo.com/archery.html

and the poplar bark quiver is exactly what i had in my mind, except maybe even using rawhide instead of bark.

Sorted.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
What makes you think they will get stuck ? until the Spanish arrived the Native americans will have used flint/stone points on their arrows ;)

IIRC, Oetz used a quiver similar to the north american plains Indians type, he was after all the european equivalent of a native american and what worked for them must have surely worked for us.

In the Bowyers Bible Vol 2, the late, Jay Massey, a fulltime outfitter and hunting guide in alaska, aswell as a bow maker of some repute, says it is a very good quiver for hunting, with minimal movement required to withdraw an arrow, unlike say a back quiver, and its readily manoverable on the body unlike the belt quiver, plus if made long enough it keeps the fletchings dry and safe from damage by undergrowth.

You may not have noticed but I like 'Plains' style quivers :D

But I do like a good back quiver for robin hood stylee shooting (even though he would probably have used a belt quiver or just tucked his arrows in his belt).

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE