Rattie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Under my feeder... I'm a bit of a fan of fancy rats but not sure I can put up with this fella on my plot!!!
u8eje2um.jpg

Dunno if I should live trap him and realise him???
I know it's a bit sentiment ...,
d

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kill it.

Rats are clever beasties, but they breed prolifically, and they carry disease. The further you can keep them away from you home and your food, the better, I reckon.

We anthropomorphise the most astonishing list of creatures, we really do.

If there's one rat though, as sure as eggs is eggs, there's a lot more of them around.
I don't think you can live catch and release rats though, I'm pretty sure that as vermin that's illegal.
Bound to be someone along who knows for certain.

atb,
M

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok Toddy didn't think of the release issue.... I've reD about releasing introduced species but didn't think of this with a rat... next question most humane way??
Bit concerned with poisons as I get gig walkers close to me..,, likewise traps..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know what you mean; folks with pet rats are very fond of them too.

I don't know which is the quickest way of killing them. Poison works, but they don't die there and then, a decent trap I suppose, or find someone with a well trained wee jack russell. I know when they were under our shed my brother got them with an airgun.....which is probably the quickest and most humane way when I think on it. He's a good shot, and one pellet = one dead rat; well three for three, iimmc.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dave,

Yep its illegal to release a pest species. Shoot it if you can be bothered. There's really not much point because they breed faster than you shoot them, but it makes some people feel better to try. There is a reason why almost every pest controller resorts to poison. If you really can't face posion, then humane traps. If its a rat, slot it with an air rifle. If its not a rat, release it.

Then remove ALL food sources, concrete over all out house floors, deny water, deny shelter and utilise a low yield thermo nuclear device. (All serious but the last)

For the avoidance of doubt, all hunting with any form of bow, of anything, for any reason, has been illegal for more than a quarter of a century in this country.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know how folks build obstacle courses for squirrels ? Rats learn the way in and out of mazes.....could something not lead them into a gas chamber ?

My brother has a one rat kiln. It came out of a research lab where they had to totally incinerate the test subjects....heaven alone knows what they were testing on the poor beasts, but the kiln is genuinely the one that cooked them to dust. He uses it for smelting these days :)

Back to the rats; is there a quick acting poison ? something as fast as the stuff the vets use to euthanase pets ?

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are many quick acting poisons - strychnine and cyanide for example (seriously). The great advantage of second generation anti coagulants is that they are slow acting. If (for example) a cat eats a poison rat carcass, it wont kill the cat - it needs several doses. If a pet gets a big dose, Vitamin K (maize in an emergency) sorts it right out. The problem with fast acting poisons is food chain persistence and secondary poisoning.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Humane cage traps work well. I deploy them around chickens. Caught a nuthatch last time..let it go no harm done. The rats got slotted :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A good way to stop them climbing the pole is to get s 2l coke bottle, take the top off and cut it in half and slide the top half on the pole, when the rat or squirrel climbs the pole he can get to the bottle but cant climb arou d it.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Rats can eat through concrete, poison them! I've had plenty of rat shoots with the NV gear but you can never get them all, as been said the breed in a prolific manner.

Si

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
As per usual BR you are a wealth if info. Toddy as well .Thanks all for suggestions.
I didn't know about releasing a pest species but it makes sense.
I don't have an air rifle but could borrow one.
It's looking like poison I'm afraid.... I don't get cats here so not worried about that.
The dogs we get I'll make sure I'll make sure I speak to there owners but I've only ever once had a dog loose in the property.
I've got a catapult... but I couldn't hit a bull on the bottom with a shovel.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
On reflection it's gonna be live traps then dispatch... I don't like poison and after talking to her indoors it's not for us.... I've got a great hunting fishing shop by me who I'm guessing will have them.
Tips BR? Bait etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE