RAT Cutlery Fire Steel kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,all, I just found a Ferro Rod made by RAT Cutlery,it has a Hollow handle for storing your little survival bits&bobs in,just wanted to know if anyone has used one,And if so are they any Good,Cos they cost £29.
Cheers

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
As I understand it, that firesteel is so hard it can only be struck with the edge of your knife.
It won't spark with the spine.
That's why it's described as a "last ditch" firesteel.
you'd probably be better off with an aluminium match case with a regular firesteel stored in it with a few bits and bobs.

a match case like this for example

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Or you could drill a hole in the bottom of a match case and glue a normal firesteel blank in. As long as the glue or whatever makes the hole waterproof, it would work great and probably be alot cheaper.

Well, that's it! Now I'm going to have to buy one. Joe is the energetic type who does tend to get a little exciteable about things but I have never known him to be one to tell non-truths. That's just great...there goes another $40.00, and I'm sure I'll have fun explaining the need for it as swmbo knows I just bought three new Light my Fire Swedish Firesteels last week, they're still in the packages.Hey...I know...I'll buy it for her, andthen get I'll to play with it myself :)

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I have one too.

I really like mine and i can only name few odd factors in mine:

-the firesteel i got wasnt glued,it was screwed only,and as i sunk it in waterbucket,the water came in from the container/firesteel joint bolt hole.

-The cap has the lanyard hole and as my rat fire kit was on my neck,the firesteel/container un-screwed and dropped on floor of my row boat while i was rowing,leaving only lanyard and the cap on my neck :) There should be ball-chain system or something to prevent the cap from separating it from the container & firesteel part.

other than that its great piece of kit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm currently modding a little stubby cheap torch thats gone tots-up , once you get rid of the innards and silicone the lens down it makes a very useful little container , the lens end can be emptied out and stuffed with cotton balls , the other end can have the matches either a firesteel inside and fixed or cable tied to the outside.

You can obviously get to both ends from either Lens screw thread or Butt cap.

If you can get your hands on a thin Magnesium rod that can also be cable tied to the outside.

Last edited:

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
It seems very expensive... even if the review tells a lot of good things about it.

I usually carry a Lightmyfire Scout or Army with some tinder (cotton soaked in vaseline) in one of these.
I have recently bought from Dealextreme also a magnesium firestarter, I'm waiting for it to arrive to know if its good.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I'm currently modding a little stubby cheap torch thats gone tots-up , once you get rid of the innards and silicone the lens down it makes a very useful little container , the lens end can be emptied out and stuffed with cotton balls , the other end can have the matches either a firesteel inside and fixed or canle tied to the outside.

You can obviously get to both ends from either Lens screw thread or Butt cap.

If you can get your hands on a thin Magnesium rod that can also be cable tied to the outside.

This is exactly what I'm doing with a Mini Maglite AAA, though I may fit a compass in the head, in place of the lens.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
i prefer my fire rods with no handle at all just cross drill a hole for a short lanyard they fit in kit better this one just seems like a big bulky lump to put some where

ATB

Duncan

hey i gotta ask for advice from you then,as i have tried with many drill bits to make a hole into firesteel but all i get is loads of sparks and small dent,not even close to hole.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
hey i gotta ask for advice from you then,as i have tried with many drill bits to make a hole into firesteel but all i get is loads of sparks and small dent,not even close to hole.

Never tried it myself but I was wondering the same ?

not difficult at all the Ferro is very soft just use a normal Jobbers metal drill i use a piller drill so a lot easier slow speed and fairly hard feed have drilled some with no ignition but most spark a bit some a lot just peck thro a bit at a time

ATB

Duncan

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
slightly off topic but i found that a mini light my fire firesteel with the orange handle taken off fits nicely in the void of a RAT Izula knife which is then bound with a paracord wrap making a neat little back up survival package.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE