Random Paleolithic Ponderings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Random Paleolithic Ponderings

I made this display a couple years ago for use in my Stone Age Skills programs. Jeff Gottlieb of New York made the large awl (I decorated it).
boneantlershelldisplay.jpg

If you are fortunate enough to find some native sulfur, throw some sparks on it using percussion fire-making. It will light without any further assistance. Just don’t absent-mindedly inhale the fumes as I did!
burningsulfur.jpg

The torch is made of bamboo and a cattail head. Note the well (partial internode) that the cattail sits in—it is full of olive oil. I have subsequently used rendered bear fat successfully (thanks Sue!).
cattailandbambootorch.jpg

Since knapping damages my wrists, I’ve taken to using quartz crystals, that I find, in a variety of ways—as drill points, burins and bone/rock/shell scorers.
quartzburins.jpg

quartzcrystaletcher.jpg

Stone Oil/Fat Lamp
with a pinch of cattail (Typha sp.) seedfluff for a wick
stonelamp1.jpg

with a Rose Campion leaf as a wick
the snuffer is a piece of tuttle shell glued (hide glue--i use it for everything!) to a limpet shell
stonelamp2.jpg

Thanks to Ken Wee for sending me the marcasite and flint striker. Green, fresh mugwort (Artemisia suksdorfii) leaves will smolder via percussion fire-starting.
flintemberonmugwort.jpg

The Birch Polypore will also smolder…
flintmarcasiteandtinderfungus.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Storm,
An excellent post and one that has got the old "grey matter" churning. How have you processed the "Mugwort Leaves" to get them to a state where they will smoulder and still be quite green?

Ogri the trog

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
storm said:
for that mugwort, i just grabbed a few fresh leaves and rubbed them vigorously between the palms of my hands, resulting in a fibrous nest...
I am surprised that you got it to take with fresh Mugwort rubbed. In the UK I would reckon on it being too green with too high a moisture content. I don't believe Artemisia suksdorfii grows in Europe. We have several related species though including the ubiquitous Mugwort (Artemesia vulgaris). Plus Annual Mugwort (Artemisia annua), Slender Mugwort (Artemisia biennis), Field Mugwort (Artemisia campestris), Western Mugwort (Artemisia ludoviciana), Hoary Mugwort (Artemisia stelleriana), Chinese Mugwort (Artemisia verlotiorum)Artemisia norvegica (very rare) and the reknowned Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) used to be used in France to make Absinthe :)

I am not sure if they share the same properties as tinder. Possibly dried?

try this web site for UK distribution:

NBN Gateway - Mugwort Search Results

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Nice oil lamps - I've done the same with oil, but used peeled common rush (Juncus effusus) for wicking.

Alternatively if you don't have access to oil, then any animal fat can be melted, the rush soaked in this and then left to harden - this primitve candle will burn at a rate of about 2 feet/hour, but 1 foot rush stems are easy to peel, and the effort and cost is thus minimal. Adding a spot of beeswax to the fat makes it burn cleaner and a bit brighter.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Carpel Tunnel syndrome from knapping :eek: We were examining a burial at Wood Ranch below the Reagan Library. Our monitor ( a representative of the tribe on site to honour and protect religous and cultural values) commented on the plainly visible arthritis in the joints. We had a bit of a time climbing out, the unit being over 3 meters deep, and both had to stretch and limber up. I'm giving old Eagle Eye a funny look under my hat and he started laughing. In between cracking our various joints he said " Nothing changes!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE