Rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
If it's young I've heard you can simply pan-fry the joints with cabbage or any dark leafy edible leaf like dock, but never tried this and can't find the recipe I thought I had for it! I'll keep looking!

I find rabbit hit and miss flavour wise, so I play it safe and do a simply casserole eg water, glass of wine or cider, seasoning, herbs, onions, carrots, root veg like potatoes etc. Chuck the lot in and cook for 1-2hrs. If the rabbit smells really 'wild' I stuff the belly with apples to draw out the strong gamey flavour:)

Could you spit roast a rabbit or is it too dry?

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you can find it, either the book or the tv show.

Cook on the Wild side had a recipe for Hare, which I would think would be very similar in flavour to rabbit.

Think you can spit roast any meat, I am sure have seen rabbit done but not sure were.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
for young tender rabbits joint into portions and simply roll in seasoned flour and fried in a frying pan, even better with some mushrooms tossed in as well, delicious.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Great timing on this thread as i had my first real taste of rabbit sunday, i gotta say i wasnt too impressed. My folks made a stew, they arent the best cooks in the world though so i guess it was how it was prepared. It was very tough and had a really strong flavour.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Joint and pan fry with butter and garlic (Wild if you can)

Old stringy ones, boil, remove bones and feed to the dogs:tongue-ti

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
I say experiment try diffrent things even things that sound odd. you never know you may find the perfect recipe.

personaly my favourate (which is hard to do in the wild) is to stuff it with pompigranate and glaze it with honey then rost it YUM!

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
In response to Reddy's question about spit roasting rabbit, we did one as a demo at the River Cottage festival last month and Hugh FW liked it so much he took it home for his tea, which was the ultimate compliment I think (although it meant that me and Glenn had to get a takeaway).
To achieve the cook on the wild side's approval we had marinaded the skinned bunny in olive oil and honey for a morning, then roasted it over a mixture of seasoned Ash and Oak embers fairly slowly at a temperature of five on the "how many seconds can you hold your hand over the fire at the same height as the rabbit" scale.

We basted it with the honey and olive oil too and I think this combined with the slow roast retained a good amount of flavour and moistness in the meat. It wasn't dry at all with a lovely, sweet tasting crispy glaze.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Wabbit Stew with Cider

ngredients

* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 300g streaky bacon, chopped
* 1 wild rabbit, skinned and jointed
* 12 baby carrots
* 8 shallots, peeled and whole
* 4 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 tbsp honey
* 1 sprig fresh thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 400ml cider
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil. Add the bacon and sauté until golden and crisp. Remove the bacon to a stewpot or dutch oven.

2. Add the rabbit joints to the frying pan, sauté until golden and then place in the pot.

3. Lastly, add the carrots, shallots, garlic and honey to the pan and cook until caramelised. Transfer the mixture to the pot, season with salt and pepper and pop in the thyme and bay leaf. Cover with the cider.

4. Cook in or over the fire for two hours.

Delish.....;)

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
By coincidence, I had a couple of rabbits and made a stew this weekend.

I used red wine for the marinade, but a stock cube dissolved in water would also do, though the flavour won't be quite as rich.

1 Rabbit
300ml red wine or chicken/vegetable stock
1 onion
Carrots (or other vegetable)
Mushrooms
1 clove garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Joint the bunny and marinade the joints in the wine or stock. You can add bay leaves or other flavouring herb at this stage.

Roughly chop the onion and carrot. Thinly slice or mince the garlic.

Whilst the rabbit is marinating, fry the onion until soft and golden. Add the carrot and garlic and continue to fry, stirring.

Remove the rabbit joints from the marinade and fry for a few minutes.

Add the marinade to the pan, add the mushrooms and stir. Put the lid on the pan and cook until the rabbit is tender. Season and serve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE