Rabbit recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
From my last shooting ive got one fairly size rabbit sitting in the freezer-and i want to eat it tonight, i had rabbit last week as a sort of stock pot like I seen MPW cook it.
Though obviously mine will never be as good as his.

I have the usual ingrediants lying around the house and a good collection of herbs.

So any suggestion??

Lodian

O

oilyrag

Tonno di Coniglio is an Italian dish of Rabbit preserved in olive oil and herbs, absolutely gorgeous.

Recipe from web below:

Boil one whole rabbit in lightly salted water with
one carrot, one celery stalk and one onion with 2 or 3 cloves stuck in it.

When the rabbit is tender and falling from the bones, about one hour.
Turn off the heat and let cool in the broth.

Remove the rabbit from the broth and gently tear the meat off the bones, in the largest pieces possible.

Place in a bowl. There will also be some smaller shredded pieces of rabbit.

Season with chopped sage and garlic, I used 1 clove of garlic and 6 large sage leaves.
Salt if you like. Layer in a glass jar and place some bay leaves in amongst the rabbit.
I used about 4 small young tender leaves.

Cover with extra virgin olive oil and let marinade in the refridgerator for 2 or 3 days before serving.

Remove the rabbit pieces from the oil and serve with a light salad of lovely greens and bread.

Enjoy.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
From my last shooting ive got one fairly size rabbit sitting in the freezer-and i want to eat it tonight, i had rabbit last week as a sort of stock pot like I seen MPW cook it.
Though obviously mine will never be as good as his.

I have the usual ingrediants lying around the house and a good collection of herbs.

So any suggestion??

Lodian

What i do is soak the rabbit in salt water for a good couple of hours prior to cooking then i dry it and pan fry it in some olive oil season, then cook as you would any other meat

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Without a good sauce,
I find rabbit to be a very dry meat. And when put into a stew, the meat falls apart to make more of a soup than a stew. My recommendation would be to find some Greek recipes as the tendency is to use a lot of olive oil, red wine, shallots etc keeping the meat in large joints and very succulent.

ATB

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I find those kallo stock cubes are excellent flavouring and a veg stock one goes very well with a rabbit. Joint and fry off the meat until it starts to brown, chuck a chopped onion and leek into the pot, bang the stock in and the rabbit. If you have a slow cooker then use it. Let it go on a low heat until the meat falls off the bone. Add potatoes, carrots, peas if you like, basically any more veg you want in there. Bung in any salt and pepper you want to use, add some spices if you feel brave. Experiment, that's what cooking is all about! Make some simple dumplings and serve with buttered thick crusty bread cut by yourself on a nice wooden bread board. Beautiful! :D

Anyway, got to go to work. See ya later!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Put butter and herbs to taste in the belly cavity. Cover with cooking bacon. Wrap with foil and roast for about an hour. Serve with roast parsnips and potatoes, and a good red wine or cider.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Because rabbit meat is a little dry, a lot of recipe's have some form of fat in it.

For a non fat recipe look for osso buco from rabbit. It's a Italian meat dish. You can make it outdoor because it doesn't need ingredients (except for dried vegatables) that can spoil!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE