Rabbit , Rabbit, Rabbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Iv'e been a keen hunter for nearly 10 years now, and the main problem has

always been finding good places to shoot. Permission to shoot on other peoples

land was always challenging, untill now!

This past month my shooting buddies and i have been bombarded with almost

desperate land owners, pleading us to rid them of there spiraling rabbit

population. Is this only a problem in Cornwall , or is anyone else experiencing the

same? I'm not complaining , its just unusual and i dont understand why this year

is different. :confused:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
No it's not just you....

....since i stopped shooting on the farm where i live there has been an explosion in the rabbit population. There are little brown furry things everywhere, they don't even seem to be bothered too much by human presence.

They have obviously been at it like..eerrrr.....rabbits :D

My uncle who does a lot of ferreting has been kept busy in the area too. He has noticed that since the winters have not been very cold there is no "off" season for breeding. There have been baby bunnies shooting through his nets all winter.

There have been a fair few myxie rabbits as well though. I wonder if this will be a bad year to compensate for the increased population :confused:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Rabbits funnily dont have off season for breeding .

The females will reabsorb the little ones if food is scarce though.

One of the few animals that does this.

I think myxie might also be a part of it , it comes in waves, and spreads better - yeah wrong word worse - in dense populations.

Once won 3 rabbits in a tombola and when I told my mother in law she immediately asked "What are you going to do with them ?

"Keep them well apart" was my answer

Tant

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
tons of the little 'darlings' around us and the does were noticably pregnant much earlier this year. Lots of 'glove puppets' and 'finger puppets' about during the day.
I think I'm going to run out of .22 ammo b4 long!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Two nights ago I counted the rabbits in the field across from my house (I know I should get out more), the total was 75! There is a real explosion of the little furry things here in Scotland too. I'm sure that in the next year or two there will be a call for another extermination programme like the Mixoma visus in the 50's. They must consume a fantastic amount of our resourses. Anyone got any ideas of how we get the numbers down? :rolleyes:

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Iv'e been a keen hunter for nearly 10 years now, and the main problem has

always been finding good places to shoot. Permission to shoot on other peoples

land was always challenging, untill now!

This past month my shooting buddies and i have been bombarded with almost

desperate land owners, pleading us to rid them of there spiraling rabbit

population. Is this only a problem in Cornwall , or is anyone else experiencing the

same? I'm not complaining , its just unusual and i dont understand why this year

is different. :confused:

Well if it gets too much for you, you can always send a few farmers my way……;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
On the land I shoot over I have consistently taken around a thousand each year for the past 8 years which is with a concerted effort averaging two outings a week 52 weeks a year and out in all weather. I take about 100 foxes from the same ground as well. I am slightly up on numbers this year having attained more ground but otherwise no different. I think the key word here is consistency - if you are getting out there regularly rabbits can at best be 'managed' with a rifle and I do tend to leave an acceptable 'core' population in pockets to preserve my sport ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A small group f youngones has cropped up on my permission, so they are starting to up the stakes a bit in the rabbit v sheep stakes! Apparently, 4 rabbits eat as much grass as 1 sheep.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't been able to get any shooting locally in the last 6 years. I wonder if it is worth starting doing the rounds of farms again.

It was kind of depressing the last time.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
elaborate?

we have a cat. it eats all the rabbits to beyond a safe distance of the veg patch. i DO worry about the birds, but up until now rabbits and mice have been her game.

If I see her with 1 songbird she's getting a collar with a bell. :eek:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
We used to have a problem with local cats' attitude to our garden. We found, to our surprise and mild amusement, that our dogs are scared of Felix, Arthur & Co.
So, what's the connection to this thread? Simple - we have two female rabbits that dominate EVERYTHING that gets too close or is a slower runner (which is pretty much everything except time). The reason other creatures are wary - rabbits bite HARD. The reason I know is because I've been bitten for getting in the way, not getting out of the way and also for not doing as one or the other wants! No healthy animals' urine should smell like this :yuck: or comes in colours that makes you do this :yikes:
They do, however, make good compost - you know what I mean! :BlueTeamE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE