Quickie Tarp Question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I tend to like 3m by 3m or there abouts, I can live with slightly less width but like the length - can store lots of gear underneath. They certainly do a nice selection of tarps there, but I personally really don't like that type of traditional tarp material for using out and about. I find it slightly bulky and noisy. Of course depends on what you are going to use it for though.

Sizes are an odd thing and personal, however more focused on what you are doing and what with. Many people like the smaller tarps 1.7 x 2.5 or something like that, enough to sleep under and not much less. Many others like bigger, as it allows you more potential configurations thus more freedom in your set up.

What are you planning to do with yours, etc. ?

Nag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like Nag says, it depends on what you`ve got in mind.

If you`re a ground dweller then something like an 8'x6' would be okay, if you`re using a hammock then you`ll need a bit more width and length. The square 2x2m or 3x3m ones are quite useful because you can set them up in many different ways. If it`s really wet and windy you can set a square on the diagonal which gives you much more cover length ways.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You'd be much better getting a nylon one.

Try asking if anyone has a spare etc or try the bay.

They'll pack down small unlike the plastic ones.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
If you're near a Decathlon shop, they do a tarp for just under 20 quid, not saw one myself as they don't have any up here, but for 20 quid, certainly looks a good deal.

Nag.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I bought one of those S & A tarps a good while back.

They're cheap, but VERY plasticy and I only used it once. They're probably great for covering things up and the like, but as a shelter I found it VERY VERY noisy, both with rustling in the wind, and rain sounding extremely loud on it.

OK as an emergency shelter, but not really up to it for "Bushcrafting."

Better to spend a bit more and get a decent one. Do a bit of a search on the forums, there's been numerous threads on the subject.

I personally favour the USMCPRO "Elite Evolution Basha" 3mx3m tarp

http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php?PHPSESSID=6c3e3e514664fba8f855860023b27

TC186D.jpg

For some reason it won't let me link to the item direct, you'll have to navigate to it via the "accessories" tab and then into "Camping Equipment" and "Shelters."

Just my two-penneth worth.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Thanks Guys & Gals,
I will have to re-visit this then as I thought I had it sussed?
Im not sure I will use whatever I buy for overnight stays, more for daytime stuff with the kids (hence my selection), however, I guess I will probably end up buying twice if I went for my first choice.
In terms of size, 3m x 3m appears to be the way to go.
Regards, Jon.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Dam, Surrey Yeoman beat me to it. I use the same one with my hammock. Light weight and a good size at 3m x 3m. Cheaper than the more well known makes aswell and just as good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE