Quick question, how big is an acre?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
An acre is a chain by a furlong (22 yards by 220 yards) and is roughly the area of land that can be tilled by a man and an ox in one day

I find it's much easier to visualise a quantity when it's referred to normal, everyday activities...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
boaty said:
An acre is a chain by a furlong (22 yards by 220 yards) and is roughly the area of land that can be tilled by a man and an ox in one day

I find it's much easier to visualise a quantity when it's referred to normal, everyday activities...

When was the last time you tilled an area with an ox Boaty? Normal everyday activity :eek:):

Obviously I will be sitting here waiting for you to post a pic of you and your ox complete with till to make me look really stupid :wink:

Bill

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
tenbears10 said:
When was the last time you tilled an area with an ox Boaty? Normal everyday activity :eek:):

Obviously I will be sitting here waiting for you to post a pic of you and your ox complete with till to make me look really stupid :wink:

Bill
Unfortunately my blue ox is laid up at the moment - anterior cruciate ligament trouble, but here's a picture of me and Flo

portraint1.jpg

Sometimes after a hard day's work, she lets me hitch a ride

ride.jpg

And here's a picture of us hitched to a "till" - normally we'd use a plough or a harrow, but you specifically asked for a till:

tilling.jpg

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Try 70 yards by 70 yards, whereas a hectare is 100m by 100m.

Or put another way it's 1% of a 100 acre field.

Visualising it isn't easy, like an acre of flat wheatfield is quite a bit smaller in appearance to an acre of woodland with steep gullies. That raises the question ...

On uneven ground is an acre larger or smaller on the ground than on the map? ie do you measure it as the surface lies or as a flat area? I don't know the answer to that one and it would definately be worth checking out before buying any land if it's not flat. Lawers would love that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE