Quick plumbing question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hiya.

First thing:
something to note (assuming you've got a thermostatic valve on one end of the radiator) - the valve on the other end (I think it's called a lock-shield valve - it's been a long time) is actually used to control the flow of water through the radiator, so when you close it - count the number of turns it takes and make a note somewhere - and when finished putting the new rad on, open it by the same amount

That is actually wrong. It would have been the case if the rad did not have TRV's on, and would have been used to balance the system, but the TRV will control the flow of water to the rad. The lockshield is on the exit side of the rad (with a TRV fitted), while the TRV is on the incoming side (usually, although there are either side TRV's available)

The first question to ask is why you want to replace the rad, and what type of rad is there at the moment! If the rad is a single panel or one panel one K at the moment, then you could keep the same rad size, but move to double panel or double panel double K. This will improve the heating output from the rad, but may allow you to keep the pipework as it is. If this were the case, then you would only need to turn off the locksheild valve, and FULLY turn off the TRV (feel free to PM on how to do this, as its not just a case off turning down the TRV), this could mean that you would not lose the existing fernox in the system (assuming there is some there). When you come to refill the system, get it up to 1 to 1.5 bar via the filling loop, and the bleed the sulphur/air out of the new rad. once this is done, top up the pressure to the desired amount, and that is is. If the pressure drops slightly over the next few days/weeks, then you have a micro leak, which means air is getting into the system (rather than water out!), and this may be cured by just tightening the couplings on the rad valves a bit more.

A few things to note are:
If you are going to install new valves into the new rad, always put at least 13 turns of PTFE around the threads, remember to go in the opposite direction to the way you will screw in the valve, to prevent tape slippage.
The air vent for the rad needs to go on the highest side of the rad, to ease bleeding and filling. A difference of 0.5 to 1mm in height is often not noticed by any visitors.
Due to disturbance of the system, all the rads will need to be bled after the new one has been connected, remembering to re check the system pressure between each bleeding to avoid total loss of pressure.
Once you have refilled the system, you will need to purge the system pump, as it will become full of air when emptying the system. If you do not purge the pump, then it will dramatically reduce its lifespan, or the system may just not fill properly. To purge the pump, there is normally a slot on the front of the housing (the pump will be inside your boiler casing, if the boiler is a combi as you describe) large enough for a 2 pence piece. Run your heating and unscrew the slot very slightly until water dribbles from it, then re screw it.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head lol :)

Edited to add. Yes, as you say, you will use the filling loop to re pressurise the system. On the incoming side of the filling loop, there should ideally be a stop tap (rather than just an isolation valve) and it is this that you can open to control the re pressurisation. The filling loop should not be permanently attached between the incoming supply and boiler, as this breaks plumbing law, but in truth most are lol

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Shewie.

A bit far to go to be honest, sorry.

I'll fire you off a quick PM though

Let me get my head in gear and assess the situation properly, then I might fire a few questions your way via a PM.

I've got to buy new fittings, brackets and thermostat valves and figure out how to add some length in the pipes. I'm not in any hurry mind so might just leave it until spring now, if I bust the heating now she'll go mental.

Thanks for the help folks, it's a good job I didn't set to with the hacksaw straight away then.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Forget the PTFE tape, get some "Loctite 55" fantastic stuff, just not cheap, but has other uses.

Have a look on some of the DIY forums for advice, or carry on asking here.

Wings

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
wingstoo

Quick question for you if I may.

Bearing in mind that PTFE is: very cheap; and can stand any pressure that the combi system can throw at it; is perfect for sealing damaged thread; is not messy to use; is instant to use and will take any heat; is easy to undo; easy to re tighten later (which is massively important for a novice working on a pressurised system IMHO), and is the industry standard, why would the locktite stuff be better to use?

I'm just curious, as when I did my city and guilds twenty years ago, PTFE was the sealant of choice (with hemp and boss white seen as old fashioned, unless you were working on black iron lol), and as far as I know, is still the preferred rad valve sealant in site/college teaching practice. :).

As per above, I'm just curious :)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
wingstoo

Quick question for you if I may.

Bearing in mind that PTFE is: very cheap; and can stand any pressure that the combi system can throw at it; is perfect for sealing damaged thread; is not messy to use; is instant to use and will take any heat; is easy to undo; easy to re tighten later (which is massively important for a novice working on a pressurised system IMHO), and is the industry standard, why would the locktite stuff be better to use?

I'm just curious, as when I did my city and guilds twenty years ago, PTFE was the sealant of choice (with hemp and boss white seen as old fashioned, unless you were working on black iron lol), and as far as I know, is still the preferred rad valve sealant in site/college teaching practice. :).

As per above, I'm just curious :)

PTFE is cheap as chips, quick and easy to use and clean as it comes, I have used loads of different jointing compounds over the years and found the new(ish) "Loctite55" a lot better than most, it can be used for threads from 1/4" (5mm)up to 4"(100mm) and on potable water and gas, LPG, Natural etc etc.

I have seen PTFE "stretch" fittings, more accurately soft threads like those on copper cylinders.

Loctite can be "back-turned" 45deg without leakage on any size of fitting, and comes in easy to use dispensers.

It is basically a PTFE thread rather than a tape, comes in 150mtr and 50mtr reels, instead of the 12mtr PTFE rolls.

A 1/2" thread needs IIRC 8 turns of Loctite, 13 plus if PTFE tape.

I think the College/teaching practice is down to cheapness of the product as Loctite is anything from £7 per tub (150mtr)

I also get to keep all the useful containers for odds and ends, tinder boxes, ciggy containers when I used to smoke.

ha9560.jpg

It even replaces theneed for boss white and hemp, so no more stinky sticky linseed oil based jointing compound.

And you can use it to tie things together with, guy ropes can be made with it, tie snares to posts with it, just don't use it for flossing ;-)

Wings

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE