Quick overnighter - Lune estuary (Lancashire)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Been staying with my mum but she needed me out of the house for the night. Had a meeting in Lancaster this morning so decided to camp overnight. Walked from Ellel (near Galgate) down the Lancaster canal spur to Glasson Dock and then along the old railway line towards Lancaster - it's now an excellent cyclepath. Found a perfect camping spot near to the sewage works at Stodday (lovely). A narrow patch of wooded ground between a field and the cyclepath.
Not ideal territory for tents but for my hammock it was perfect - shaded from the wind blowing with the incoming tide. Green hammock and green silnylon tarp - just 10m from the path and you're all but invisible, especially since I don't bother lighting fires when camping.
Sleeping bag was a 700g summer down bag from Rab and it was just borderline useable. I word a buff as a hat, t shirt, long sleeve thermal t shirt and 2 thin fleeces. Running tracksuit bottoms and running tights with two pairs of walking socks. I had cold feet in the night - but not that bad to stop sleep. I've used this setup for weeks in the Pyrenees and it's extremely comfortable, especially with a cut down karrimat to insulate my torso as the down when compressed doesn't perform that well. A 3 or 4 season bag and it would have been perfect.
I've used my tarp/hammock setup for wild camping in the UK, France and Spain and it is fantastic - you have far more places where you can sleep and a propertly setup hammock is fantastically comfortable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE