Quick advice about fruit trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Herself ha seen some bargain end of season bare root fruit trees advertised and fancies some but we know didley squat about the subject.

We are on poor acidic soil up in th Pennines, but not that high,so vey roughly what should we be looking for? Or more to the point what wouldn't have a cat in hells chance?

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apples, plums and some cherries are pretty hardy :) and they're worth growing :D

Dwarf rooting stock is a must, and prune every year you grow them. M6 or M26 is good for garden apple trees. M27 is smaller again.

Family trees are pretty cool too.

They all do better where they have good light, and unless you pollute them with insecticides, accept misshapen and marked fruits as being perfectly fine :) We got fruits from the second year onwards, but it's about five years before you might find yourselves with a glut.

Bound to be fruit growers with more than I have ever had along to offer advice :)

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does depend on how much space you have.....we've got twenty or thirty we are training in. We have gone for a rootstock that allows them to get a bit bigger (MM106 or equivalent)

This image helped us a lot

Apple-Rootstock-Pear-Rootstock.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Final tree height depends on more than just the rootstock, location, soil type, nutrients etc. I've got about 15 MM106's planted at the same time and there's a large variation and they're smaller than expected due to poor soil. It also greatly depends on the scion grafed, just checking my notes something like Discovery on a MM106 should get to 2.8m but something like Cornish Aromatic 4.1.

As for the original question if space/time is limited I'd be inclined to ignore cheap trees on offer and take the time to research what rootstocks would be best and what trees you really want, e.g. do you want an apple for eating off the tree, for storing, cooking, multipurpose etc and then check for pollination groups (many apples need one or two trees that flower at a similar time to cross pollinate.) Then buy a couple of good trees and take time to plant properly next winter.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for that folks, ill pass it on to herself. To be honest I'm keener on getting some fruit bushes in. One firm had 50 mixed fruit for 55 quid if we are quick we can get them in in time.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folk. I'm hoping that your wise words have rubbed off on her and she will forget about it until next year and do the proper research in the mean time We still have so much to do already, not least the big burn and getting the soil turned over and weeded, what survives the fires anyway. It's either been too wet or too windy so far.

atb

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd just add that some fruit trees like plum and cherry can be a bit susceptible to fungal attack, so any pruning should be done neatly and cleanly. Also try to keep the branch structure fairly open to allow air to move through the canopy. This also helps with not letting the tree get too heavy where it can damage itself. Good fun pruning trees though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE