Question for the leatherworkers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I plan to make a pair of hightop moccasins (plains indian style} over the summer. I have the leather for the uppers, but I'm wondering what would be the best leather for the soles. Can anyone recommend a suitably thick leather and source, or alternatively sell me enough for a pair?
Thanks in advance,
Colin.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi Colin,

I'm not sure about mocs as I've never made any, but made plenty of viking style turnshoes and I use veg tan sole bends about 5/6mm thick. you can buy just enough for a pair of shoes at a reasonable price from Leprevo

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi guys, thanks for the swift replies.
John I saw the Tandy sole and armour leather, way too much for my needs, £175 for a whole piece, that's what prompted me to write.
Hamish, thanks for the link, I'll give Leprevo a go.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've made hi top moccasins before. Are you going for centre seamed eastern style mocs, or more of a 'plains' type, with the soles stitched on in what we now think of as a typical moccasin style?
In either case, don't go too thick with the soles if you want them to be authentic. They should be soft soled so you can feel the ground beneath you, but thick enough to protect you from pointy things.
You can use any leather, and I wouldn't go too expensive for your first pair until you see what you like/don't like and then you can make the second pair put of better stuff. If you want breathability, brain tan uppers are the way to go, but that's expensive. Veg tan will do just fine for the soles.

Of course, if you want to go for a more modern style, then any leather supplier will be able to sell you thick leather for soles, some even tan stiffer leather for this purpose.

If you don't already have a pattern I would suggest buying one to help you make the first pair. It's worth the ten quid to give you a good understanding of how they are made.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd agree with Dreadhead here. More of a turn shoe style, but they'll be great for summer. I wear my mocs in the woods all the time.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Buckshot, that is very kind of you, but I will go with all leather.
I knocked up a test Moc out of some scrap I have, to check my home made templates. I'm lucky as it seems the one template is good for both of my feet. My stitching also needs improving. The idea is to sew the calf height top and tongue to the mocs after.

il_570xN.595491734_ns9i.jpgThis is the style I had in mind.
And my attempt so far. IMG_20170428_094938.jpg IMG_20170428_094949.jpgIMG_20170428_094949.jpg

Attachments

• d5e52cabd7effea5da1eb4c1a6d9dd20.jpg
    d5e52cabd7effea5da1eb4c1a6d9dd20.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 12

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE