Question: Embossing the leather before or after the dying process?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dear Hivemind, in particular the leather workers. I've been making a leather cover for my Kindle since The Moot in August. Most of the work got done there and I've changed a few things about it since and I REALLY like it too. The inside is now stained a deep rich brown and looks fantastic. But the outside cover remains the veg tan colour simply because I've reached a point where fear of failure has halted the work once again. Mostly because I'm hesitant about the order to stain or emboss first.

The design I'd like to do is something with a Steampunk theme so it'll be pretty intricate in some ways. So details in the leather, once it's dried, should be fine, but I'm afraid of wetting it again with the stain and risk the details being "blurred".

Which has been the best method for you folks? Stain first then do the embossing? I am sort of leaning to the staining afterwards which would allow me to be a bit creative with the tones of the stain by thinning it in certain places to create a patina.

I think I just answered my own question. :confused:

Anyway, any input would be most helpful please. Ta.

Oh, and Merry Christmas! :christmas1:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I query my self every time I get to this point. Reason being I have had some detail lost when the dye wet the leather.
Have to bow to g4ghb experience though.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Clear as mud then :)

Do you guys always dampen the leather first? Also how long and how do u stamp?

Thread hijack biker sorry mate.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh OK Arron, Kindle cover Ehhh? OK we believe you. Just remember no public appearances in that "Kindle Cover". Well at least not with kiddies and ladies about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE