Question about bivvys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
can bivvys be used without having a groundsheet underneath? im thinking of doing away with my DIY tent groundsheet and using a bivvy instead as i already use a cheap light bivvy (karrimor x-lite) as a sleeping bag cover as i end up with my feet touching the fly or outside of the tent, i wouldn't trust using this bivvy alone as it ends up rolling down past my shoulders sometimes its also too tight and is stopping my bag from lofting properly.

i was wondering if any of these can be used alone without having a sheet underneath on a damp floor(is there any other kind?)

alpkit hunka xl- (has good reviews on here)

Sol escape bivvy-(haven't seen any reviews on here)

british army bivvy- (i have it already but haven't used it as its heavy approx 850g)

any other suggestions?

i would like it to be big enough to incorporate a thermarest 2.5cm and have enough loft for my bag and not be much over 500g im about 5,11 15 stone

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yes is the short answer - that's what bivies are for.

The karrimor is . . . well karrimor - I can only assume little application testing is done, hence the bivvy doesn't work well.

The alpkit XL and the military ones will be large enough for a good loft and sleeping mat - the military ones are designed for arm folk and their gear and I hear they carry a lot!

No experience of the soll - perhaps compare dimensions with the alpkit and karrimor ones to see what you can expect.

i use a Rab Ascent along with a fat thermarest neo-air xtherm without issue.

Stu

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
I agree - I've got a Rab Ridge Master and had it modded to allow the end of the bivvy to be zipped down in nicer weather with a no-see-um mesh so I can look up at the stars during the night (though that's not often in Snowdonia!). Hooped bivvy's are pretty much the half way house between a basic bivvi with all its limitations and a tent which I feel detaches you from your environment.

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
in all pics ive seen of bivvys there has been a groundsheet underneath so is that just to protect the bivvy as that wouldn't be a major concern for me?
i read that because the escape bivvy is breathable it is not fully waterproof so i would be concerned using it without a groundsheet and the hunka xl looks to be similar in that it is breathable if its fine to use without a groundsheet i would go with the hunka xl

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Apart from anything else, your bivvy bag will last ten times as long with a ground sheet under it, will be drier quicker to pack away and a ground sheet needn't weigh much to be effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE