pyramid tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Ok so I've been looking at gettin a couple of new tents the Torre Lite for overnight backpacking and a second for those long weekends
Spotted one I like but unsure. It's a Mil-tec 4 man pyramid tipi tent (olive green) will need to add a collar for my stove flue

Anyone else got any exp with this tent

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
At only 290x270cm in size (assuming i'm looking at the right one) I wouldn't put a stove in it myself. It just doesn't look large enough to host one without being dangerous to anyone or anything inside.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm 99% sure i'v seen a you tube vid on that tent, with a stove inside....I'll be damned if I can find it but I'm sure its out there

As for tipi recommendations. I like bergans and go-lite lots of sizes to chose from but a bit spendy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well for a stove inside a tipi it's all about room and space, you can't have the stove too close to the tent fabric and you can't have it too close to you. This does lend itself to looking at larger designs that can offer that space. Space is also good for storing dry wood inside, rather than out. Other things to look at are having a floor or not - When I had a stove in my tipi I had a floor that zipped away so any hot bits that might have fallen out when I added wood would only land on dirt. Of course, you can get a tray under the stove but it's a consideration.

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9157569 That wouldn't be a bad starting point but much more costly than perhaps expected.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
The mil-tec Fourman is an ideal size for me at 290x270 by 220 high I cant see the issue with using a wood burner AMD fitting a flue collar I've seen a tipis around that aren't much bigger with stoves inside.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Yeh the Tamarack is a nice bit of kit but I'm a. Bushy on a budget the mil-Tec is.within my price range
At 3 metre across if I were to pit the stove just right of centre that would negate the problem ofit being close to the fabric and as for the flue collar it would be heat resisting silicone. and I could always ad a secondary collar to the flue. Giving a 2 inch airspace between the flue and tent fabric

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have no doubt you can do it, I wasn't trying to be funny. I was just thinking back to my tentipi safir 9 (a 5.3m tipi) and how insanely hot it got with the stove going even with all that room and the vents open.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I do agree with squidders, i'd rather have a little more room for hot tenting...but it is doable in a smaller space

Keep your stove small and low to the ground for one. If it seems uncomfortably close to the side wall you can add reflectors.
I used to use cheapo shallow baking trays for them

Gotts say I'm not keen on sewn in groundsheets though

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I have no doubt you can do it, I wasn't trying to be funny. I was just thinking back to my tentipi safir 9 (a 5.3m tipi) and how insanely hot it got with the stove going even with all that room and the vents open.

No no squid I have no doubt you were trying to be helpfull
Actually u raised a few points i hadn't considered
I just can't see the point of splashing out on a humungeous 8 man tipi when it's only gonna be me and possibly ex-gf's eldest using it

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well in the end I decided to stick with the Torre Lite
But not the miltec pyramid (like squidders mentioned a bit more room to move is better
So considering the Camp Feuer tipi as an alternative might be slightly bigger than I'd like. But even when packed it barely weighs 6 kilo that I can tolerate and being a metre wider. Gives plenty of room for the stove
And it's within my.budget

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Cooking your supper in a tent 2.9 x 2.7 x 2.2 will warm it up nicely. Subsequent brew-ups will keep the chill off until bed time

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well I'm ordering the Camp Feuer on Thursday. So it will be field tested (at white rose wood) the reviews I've read so far seem positive
The only way to do a proper review is to set it up and hope it belts it down then

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Yeh I know squidders I have a shed load of photos from my current projects to put up
My desktop is currently.being repaired once its up and running smoothly photos will go u
Aways relied on my ex girlfriends son to do the internut stuff ( dyslexia is a pain ) please be patient

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE