PVC Drainage Pipe to carry/store a tent etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi all.

Not sure if this is in the right place?

I'm using my old GS Bergan and other old school kit to carry my wee tent, sleeping bag etc.

I've dispensed with the roll mat and use one cheapo tesco sleeping bag as a mat/insulator and my 80's foil lined Moonbag to kip in, both pack down small.

I'm fed up using the limited space in my bergan for these and don't want to use a large bergan cos I'll just fill it with stuff I don't really need.

While sorting out my kit and giving my GS Bergan a wipe down I remembered we used to carry anti tank gear LAW 66, 84's Carl Gustavs etc., on top of our bergans or horizontally under the lid.

This got me thinking (dangerous, I know)...

If I was to go to Keyline, B & Q etc., I could get brown PVC drainage tube with end caps and fit my rolled up tent, poles, basha and sleeping bags inside and strap this onto the frame of my bergan.

I don't fancy going for a bimble with an empty AT tube - not that I have one - but PVC tubing would be ok, and could be strapped to my bike too.

Would this work? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Why not just put it in a dry bag and carry it under the lid as you suggest? It would be lighter that a piece of pipe...

Charlie G - that takes me back:eek:

Hahahaha Cold War Warrior!! Bring on the 3rd Shock Army.

I was going to type Charlie G but changed it to carl gustave. :D

The reason for the pipe was it'd fit on the frame below the bergan, leaving the bergan free. I've tried fitting it all in a 58 poncho roll but not quite big enough.

Maybe it's just habit, strapping kit to a bergan but I'd rather not look like I'm tabbing.

Hmmm, a dry bag though..., I never even considered that, might just give that a try.

Thanks Simon. :)

Liam

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I picked up a 30l dry bag in The Range - it was reduced to a fiver and it was black. Not a bad bit of kit so might be worth a look if you have one local to you?

ATB
Dave

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The pipe ain't heavy but it is robust as well as waterproof.

The added bonus is you can paint it matt green and add a yellow band of paint to it for that touch of realism :lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Aldi have got some dry bags in from Sunday i think Liam, 40lt, yellow or red though. I got one last year and they are not bad really.

Thanks for the heads up Andy. :)

I picked up a 30l dry bag in The Range - it was reduced to a fiver and it was black. Not a bad bit of kit so might be worth a look if you have one local to you?

ATB
Dave

Thanks for the tip Dave but I don't think they've got a store up here mate.

The pipe ain't heavy but it is robust as well as waterproof.

The added bonus is you can paint it matt green and add a yellow band of paint to it for that touch of realism :lmao:

And stick some fins on it too!:lmao:
G

You can daisychain two '58 bumrolls together if you're wanting something a little larger.

Thanks lads, but I'm trying to steer away from any "military" look, you lot will get me lifted by armed response. I'd be as well lugging a Milan around, or a Wombat.

Mind you, at least a Wombat has wheels. :D

Thanks for the laugh though.

Cheers

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE