Putting skills into practice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jesse Maynard

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I recently did a trip in which i got to put my bushcraft skills into practice. Friction fire and cordage making being the main ones. I made a youtube video of my experience, if you have any suggestions or tips for ways i could have done things differently they would be very welcome.

Reactions: Le Loup
I recently did a trip in which i got to put my bushcraft skills into practice. Friction fire and cordage making being the main ones. I made a youtube video of my experience, if you have any suggestions or tips for ways i could have done things differently they would be very welcome.

I don't know if this is your first time at making a video Jesse or not, but I think you did a damn fine job. The editing was spot on, well done. The skills great too. I will give you one tip on the fire lighting; before you start, cut out a piece of the inner core to use as tinder. The core of the grass tree (Kangaroo tail/goonagurra/black boy) makes excellent tinder, I sometimes use it for flint & steel fire lighting. When you get an ember, add this piece of inner core to the ember & blow. Once the ember is caught on this tinder you will not lose it & it will be much easier to blow into flame.
I can't fault the cordage Jesse, you did a fine job. There are different ways of holding it, but this is a personal choice. I hold it in my mouth because I find it easier & faster, as the length grows I sometimes hold it under my foot.
Well done Jesse, good to make your acquaintance, I have subscribed.
Regards Keith.
New England Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/user/historicaltrekking/videos?view_as=subscriber

Jesse Maynard

Jan 31, 2020
Australia
I don't know if this is your first time at making a video Jesse or not, but I think you did a damn fine job. The editing was spot on, well done. The skills great too. I will give you one tip on the fire lighting; before you start, cut out a piece of the inner core to use as tinder. The core of the grass tree (Kangaroo tail/goonagurra/black boy) makes excellent tinder, I sometimes use it for flint & steel fire lighting. When you get an ember, add this piece of inner core to the ember & blow. Once the ember is caught on this tinder you will not lose it & it will be much easier to blow into flame.
I can't fault the cordage Jesse, you did a fine job. There are different ways of holding it, but this is a personal choice. I hold it in my mouth because I find it easier & faster, as the length grows I sometimes hold it under my foot.
Well done Jesse, good to make your acquaintance, I have subscribed.
Regards Keith.
New England Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/user/historicaltrekking/videos?view_as=subscriber
I appreciate the feedback keith, that was actually my 4th ember, the grasses used in my previous 3 tinder bundles wouldnt catch a flame, so knowing the trick with the grass tree core would have helped me alot. Ive been subscribed to you for quite a while now and enjoy your videos.

Reactions: Le Loup

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE