Punctured Hide and Pride: Old lessons Painfully Re-Learnt

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Anxious to get some bush time in before leaving for a work trip, I headed off to a nearby patch of forest. Not big time bush. 3-4 hours will cover all the longer trails. It a place where joggers go so it’s not serious, though some of them are often found unconscious :rolleyes: I too was looking for a couple of hours moderate exercise

In a hurry, with errands to do after the walk, I did not bring a machete/parang or any snacks just my Camelbak. Part of the way on the very beaten track I saw a small trail that was not there weeks ago.

”Aha”, thinks I “a poacher trail”. There are poachers here – taking birds and also bat lilies. So off I go. Probably was a bat lily poachers trail as there was only one non blooming lily plant along the way and lots of signs of digging not pig rootling.

I carried on this trail along the slope for while then I heard dogs coming at speed from behind. Feral dogs are not unknown. Two big domestic dogs guarding their territory challenging me. Put my back against a tree upslope for the height advantage but cursed myself for not bringing even a Mora, just a 2” folder (that’s not a knife)though had my 4’ trail stick. Any way the dogs were more bark than bite and, I eventually walked on unmolested while they trotted off their honour intact.

Didn’t feel like venturing back into their territory but was getting fed up with the trail and the hundreds of mosquitoes. Like a fool, I had not worn real bush gear like BDUs or heavy denim just mall bushcrafter Columbia trousers and an Amazon River shirt. Of course the mosquitoes just laughed all the way to the blood bank and I turned into a pin cushion. Tried of feeding them I decided to cut cross country back to the main trail. No problem, took a bearing on the button compass and I knew the drainage anyway. But I had no trail knife and no trail as well which meant pushing my way through the undergrowth. Of course, that meant ducking 1” long spikes on the palms and other plants and these things had even less difficulty going through my clothes into me than the mosquitoes.

Got back on the trail after a bit but decided to shorten the walk as the contouring and uphill work had made me a bit tired. Had water but no snacks and the blood glucose had been used up or been drunk by the mossies.

After a bit I came to a terap (great cordage plant) which I contemplated harvesting. Deciding against it, I stepped back on the trail. Switching back to 160 deg vision, I realised there was a scared snake under my feet and stick desperately trying to escape. Luckily I had decided to wear my old fashioned all leather hiking boots. That was really clumsy, as I usually see them early.

Coming out of the bush, I stopped to harvest some wild cassava cuttings which I wanted to plant at home. Took out the folding saw and sawed away. While putting it away, I saw some fibre on the serrations and, in a moment of pure genius, I flicked the saw forgetting that my thumb was depressing the lock. The blade jackknifed on my hand and the teeth punctured my fingers. “Why on earth did you do that?” was my only thought. Could not believe how smart I was. Must have been a low glucose episode.

Of course, I did not have even a band aid on this short walk. Bled like anything back to the car. Saw serration punctures are real good for liberating blood.

What a day. Just when you think you have matured as an outdoor person, a series of dumb mistakes each bringing me a bit closer to a disaster. Fortunately mother nature only gave me a couple of slaps rather than a felling blow -the snake was a black cobra.

Still I have a story. This weekend I have a workshop slot teaching jungle trekking safety to new guides. What a joke!

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I had no idea that Australia was so much more fun than the UK! (While reading I was wandering in what sort of exotic place these things happened, then noticed your Location tag).

Don't worry we've all underestimated nature at some point and possibly we will again. I think the main problem stems from social pressure: The idea that others will be on the same trail, jogging, walking their dogs, etc, so if we look slightly different they will think of us as some sort of freaks. Although we know very well that the chances of us simply staying on the trail are very thin indeed.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Switching back to 160 deg vision, I realised there was a scared snake under my feet and stick desperately trying to escape. Luckily I had decided to wear my old fashioned all leather hiking boots. That was really clumsy, as I usually see them early.

I recall from my time in Australia that there's nothing like a hard day on the trail to reduce your ability to spot trouble. One day in particular sticks in my mind - early in the day, I had no trouble at all spotting an echidna trying to hide off the side of the trail, but by the end of the day I was just tramping along, head down, and nearly trod on a tiger snake right in the middle of the path! Though how the silly thing didn't hear me coming, I don't know... ;)

Fatigue can dramatically reduce your attentiveness, long before you really feel it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE