Public liability insurance question

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have just found out that there is a distinct possibility I will be doing my first green woodwork public demo in August at the museum of east anglian Life. One thing I will need to sort out is "public liability and products insurance". I was wondering if any member's who do demo's of there work to the public could give any advice about this insurance, what to remember, possible pit fal's, what to do and what to refrain from, etc. I will be demonstrating how to rive wood, and shape it into component's for chairs with axe/drawknife etc, hopefully assemble a complete chair over the weekend; also some spoon and ladle carving as well. Members of the public are actively welcomed to "have a go" at this particular event.
Many thanks Jonathan :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We, that is our group here at Chopwell wood are covered by B.T.C.V. insurance as volunteer's.
I'm thinking that you might be doing this as a volunteer instructor, as opposed to getting paid for it? whoever is actually running or is responsible for, your event, should be able to point you in the right direction.
The only one I know of personally, who has actual experience of this issue, is Eric Methven.
Hopefully he'll join your thread with some advice but you could always pm him.

Mind you, I have to say; that as enjoyable as I always find public events and instructing generally, it can be REALLY tiring. I would look at planning in some decent breaks from instructing, ideally, you want to arrange for someone else to take over the group while you either have a total cabbage session (rest) or even prepping something else for later, is almost as good as a full on sit down etc.

That's how our events have developed over the past couple of years. It used to be all me doing the instruction, now it's spread out a bit more and it makes life easier for all concerned and generally safer.

Anyway, I hope this is of use and good luck with the event Jonathan.

All the best
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Three ways of covering this.
1] The event organisers have to have some sort of public liability insurance, ask if they will take you under their umbrella. At least this way they *know* you are properly coverd.

2] Join one of the craft societies, the basketmakers guild or the like, they provide insurance cover for their members for exactly the sort of event you describe.
Sometimes organisations suchas BTCV will also provide the necessary cover. If you can become a member of Equity, they too provide cover.

3] Take out your own insurance through companies who are used to dealing with both individuals and groups such as re-enactors.
http://www.insurance-partnership.com/index.php?
They will cover you for £5million ( normally at least £3million cover is expected nowadays) and will be happy to discuss one offs.

Best of luck with it :)

cheers,
Toddy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If you can become a member of Equity, they too provide cover.

I was meant to be riving the boards not treading them :D
Seriously though thanks for all the helpful sudgestions. I'll speak to the museum and see if they have an existing policy I could buy into, and I'll try the companies you have all mentioned.
The event is quite informal, I dont pay a pitch fee, can sell as much as I like with no commisssion, in return for doing demo's. It will be at the height of the summer holiday season so should generate some interest/sales etc. I am nervous but hope it will all come together and be a success
cheers Jonathan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I work a fair number of days like that, these days most of them I get paid to turn up and demo and talk to folks :D :cool:
If I can suggest anything, it's enjoy what you do, be prepared to start a conversation; even just a quiet Hello is enough to break the ice, and it's amazing the people you meet. Before you know it they day's just about done. I've made a lot of friends working demo days and I've learned such a lot from conversations with people I'd never met before :D
Remember to take a notebook and a pen, and either cards with your details, or scrap paper.........by the end of the season I've usually found myself with a lot of the next year's work already provisionally booked.
I hope you have a good day, that the other craftsfolk are genuine and interesting and that the it's a great success.

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE