PT or laminated edges?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had views on which is preferable (in terms of edge quality, holding and ease of sharpening) for a general purpose knife. Lauri PT or Helle triple laminated blades?
P.s. I'm not worried about batoning as I've a leuku and/or axe for that!
Ta Si!

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have not used a Lauri PT blade but their ordinary carbon blades are very nice to use if a bit roughly made

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have used a PT blade. They are what is used in the Kellam Wolverine and back when the forum started that was THE knife of choice for a number of the original moderator staff. They take an absolutely scary edge and hold it well. They are hard, but not a particularly abrasion resistant steel, so not really all that bad for sharpening. Fine, hard steel rewards good sharpening. They have quite a thin edge.

Not sure how they compare to the laminated blades mentioned as I haven't used one of those. A bit apples and oranges...thin ground induction hardened carbon steel in a Finnish pattern vs a steeper beveled laminated stainless steel in a Norwegian style.

This might be interesting for you.

Personally, for a "general purpose" knife there would be more going on for me than a choice between edge properties of those two blades; handle, blade shape, grind height, sheath, carbon vs stainless, blade thickness...What do you do with a general purpose knife? Is that general purpose carving, camping, food prep, game prep, around a lot of water or in wet weather, in the cold?

While I am very sorry I parted with my PT blade knife, I would probably get a Helle as a general knife. If I wanted a knife to carve wood with, I would be after the PT blade.

Reactions: Sieddy

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
I have used a PT blade. They are what is used in the Kellam Wolverine and back when the forum started that was THE knife of choice for a number of the original moderator staff. They take an absolutely scary edge and hold it well. They are hard, but not a particularly abrasion resistant steel, so not really all that bad for sharpening. Fine, hard steel rewards good sharpening. They have quite a thin edge.

Not sure how they compare to the laminated blades mentioned as I haven't used one of those. A bit apples and oranges...thin ground induction hardened carbon steel in a Finnish pattern vs a steeper beveled laminated stainless steel in a Norwegian style.

This might be interesting for you.

Personally, for a "general purpose" knife there would be more going on for me than a choice between edge properties of those two blades; handle, blade shape, grind height, sheath, carbon vs stainless, blade thickness...What do you do with a general purpose knife? Is that general purpose carving, camping, food prep, game prep, around a lot of water or in wet weather, in the cold?

While I am very sorry I parted with my PT blade knife, I would probably get a Helle as a general knife. If I wanted a knife to carve wood with, I would be after the PT blade.
Thanks for the input bud. I've actually got a lauri PT Whittler blade that I'm getting round to putting a handle on and am really interested to see how it fares. I like the black finish of lauri carbon but like the size and shape of the Helle odel- but not the polished steel! (Oh what dilemmas I face! :O_O: )
I reckon I'll get on of those blades also to give it a go to see how I get on. I'm sure both will be great in their own ways.:)

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Here's what I've just made with an SS Polar Whittler blade. I made it in memory of my Dad who recently passed away and named it Ogar, after a motorglider he used to fly and loved. I was chuffed how it came out.

Attachments

• 20200424_084239_1.jpg
    20200424_084239_1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200424_084229_1.jpg
    20200424_084229_1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200424_084159_1.jpg
    20200424_084159_1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1149480-large.jpg
    1149480-large.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200424_084141_1.jpg
    20200424_084141_1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: brancho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE