PSK fishing kit, how do I use it??

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

After lugging this tiny fishing kit around, I thought it was time I learned how to use it!

I've never been fishing before, so I'm a real newbie.

Basicly, this kit contains line, 4 tiny hooks, 4 weights, and 4 metal hoops with a clip on it.

I know the hock goes on the end of the line(!), but how does the rest go together??
Do I have to cut the line in 4, or do they all go on 1 long line??

I'm sure I read a write up about this, but I couldn't find it after searching, so any pointers would be great.....

Thanks for the help

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Are you talking about the NATO fishing kit or a little set from one of those baccy tins?

EItherway it basically depends on the circumstances you are in. You can cut the line, BUT that'll restrict you in its use. You can configure it as 1 long line with smaller lines at about 50 cm interval (do the hooks already have a small bit of line attached to them?). If the hooks have a bit of line on them (say apprx. 1ft), then you can stake them in a riverbank, on the riverbed, or attached to sturdy plants.

The NATO kit line is thicker so is very suited for a long line. In an emergency you can use it for snares (so they say).

I'd say to keep it in 1 piece and only cut it up if you have to (for instance when you find yourself near a large body of water and you have a permit to catch fish - you can make up a set up using a pole).

As you say: the hook goes at the end. Normally followed by a sinker, though this depends on the depth you want to fish in (and you line configuration: if you have a bottom line you want the bait goes up, so no need for a sinker. Same goes if you set it up from the bank to the riverbed - with this method you cover all depths). You can also use stones etc to sink the line. The clips go on the other end - these are to attach the line to a main line (long line). Though not these are not necessary, as you also do with some looped knots at the end and in the main (long) line.

RM did a small bit on longlines when his Rocky Mountain episode (Survival series).

HTH

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi Ahjno,
Thanks for you reply.

Yes, the kit is from either a NATO or baccy tin type PSK, it's small and light.

I don't have a fishing licence, so I would only ever use this in an emergency, or I'll get a licence to try it out.
I have seen RM episode of 'hobo' fishing where he used a can as a reel, but I don't get where the sinker's come into it.

So I presume, I have 1 long main line perpendicular to the river flow, with 4 shorter lines attached by the loop and clips provided?
Then each of these shorter lines have the sinkers and hooks attached?

So the hooks need to be a certain height above the river bed?
How much line should be between the sinker and hook?
Can I use any type of insect as bait? ( Worm / Fly / earwig ? )
How deep should the main line be?
Do you measure the water dept to gauge these heights, or is a rough guess good enough?

And on a lager lake where the depth is unknown, you'd use 4 seperate lines, is the distace between sinker and hook different here?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You should only set it up once you've surveyed the water.

If it's really deep or has high banks, you might need all the line.
Deep water might require you to fish the hooks in series at varying depths to find the fish.
Tie the sinker at the end of the line and have the loops/hooks at intervals - one near the bottom, one near the surface and two inbetween. --T---T---T---T---o

If access is good, maximise your chances by cutting the line and fishing 4 different spots.
Tie on the sinker, leaving a tag about a foot long to tie the hook on.
Secure the line to something.

Bait wise, worms, slugs, grasshoppers or bits of meat/offal will work. Worms stay on the hook quite nicely.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You can try your kit out on tidal waters, one long line with the swivels spaced along and snoods hanging down with a hook on the end, baited. Attach a pointy stick to either end of the line and stick them in the ground at the low tide point in an area not used by surfers or swimmers. As the tide comes in, the fish will hopefully get hooked and when the tide goes back out you can retrieve your fish. Using your kit inland will still get you in trouble even if you have a licence as it is for rod and line only, dunno if you can get round that by using a hazel sapling a la Huck Finn!

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
taws6, In fresh water just be careful. Even with a license some means of fishing are still illegal even with a license.

Regulated water tends to require that you fish with a Rod.. you could makeshift one but you could have the baliffe on to you if it doesn't look legit.

Long lining I have seen people do out of their back gardens into tarns where they catch eels. No problems with a baliffe turning up there though.

Fastening various lines to roots etc and leaving them as sitting traps may be seen as un-sporting and may constitute an offence in the same way as 'tickling' Trout is still illegal in England.

It differs a little in Scotland apparently. There you can tickle if you have a permit and the understanding/permission of custodian over the water where you are doing it.

Maybe learn to do some traditional angling and keep the tin for the emergency ^^

The sea is a totally different game. I used to have great fun fishing for Gobies on holiday in Devon as a kid. Simply cut a bit of Limpet foot, fasten it to a hook with a single lead shot on the line and lower it into a rock pool. Great fun (well I remember it was when I was 10 :p).

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I really like the idea of Speedhooks, so having bought some, have arranged to learn from a lifelong fisherman the best techniques (of legal use on private water, with consent).

speedhook3a.JPG

Credit: Speedhooks.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE