Proud day of shelter building in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Hi all, I work in an EBSD school for lads who are, for want of a better word, challenging.

I've been doing a course with them promoting team work and problem solving, and have been using a lot of survival based scenarios.

Today we took a risk, and took them out into the woods (managed pine woods) with the objective of building shelters.

I took along a couple of tarp kits and just let them run with it.

They ignored the tarps and manically set about building shelters with what they found around (they did use the tarps for sealing though).

Needless to say the shelters were somewhat chaotic, but they had such fun doing it, and an unusual amount of focus and motivation.

I felt so proud of them.

Sorry no pics - really strict privacy and data protection rules.

Alex

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
adam my nephew (hope i have n't embaressed him as he is a member here) does bushcraft gcse at the same type of school and believe me he knows his stuff and has taught me loads they even get to use knifes it gives them such positive influence and now he is going to army college this year :D even my daughter who goes to special needs school loves to come out with me and can use her own clipper my axe and light a fire its great how she just sits and really concentrates on carving which she does nt do with anything else !

keep it up and see if you can make a bushcraft course for school i'm sure the kids and you would get so much out of it

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Sounds like it was well worthwhile. How did you overcome the mountain of health and safety obstructions?

Extremely rewarding - hopefully I'll be cashing dividends off this one back in school for a while.

As to the health and safety: extremely high staff : pupil ratio; no tools; approved site; necessary training; oodles of charisma and a shed load of forms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE